Active Topics

Notices

FCAM shutsdown after a picture is taken, however when the phone app switches I can see it works during the transition. It crashes all my cam apps. Any help would be appreciated on how to solve this issue.Thanks

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I don't have solution but it does the same thing for me. The fcam-related apps seem very fragile still. I guess we should file a bugreport for stuff like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
I don't have solution but it does the same thing for me. The fcam-related apps seem very fragile still. I guess we should file a bugreport for stuff like this.
I found the problem. It's lack of available storage memory The raw images are quite a huge file, so I never noticed how quickly my memory was filling up

Thanks Patlak: I haven't had this problem yet myself, but from other reports throughout TMO it's clear that the N900 doesn't handle running out of storage very well.

The plus size is that, since this is a full-blown Linux distro, not only can you add storage via your micro-SDHC card (I've read the new Samsung 32 GB ones work fine, BTW), but you can also:

1. Connect to a NAS or some computer acting as one via wireless. It looks like Samba is included in Maemo (I saw my co-worker's laptop on my N900 through our hotel wi-fi network), though in theory you should be able to use other things as well. One caveat: I haven't figured out how to turn it off yet in any user settings, which I see as a security hole. I may end up disabling it in the init scripts.

I just thought of this idea; I don't know if it can be done, but it would be a neat experiment: attach your machine on the network (shared via Samba) and then (here's the ? part) configure the camera to save to that DIRECTLY instead of the eMMC. The question is: can the camera app be told where to save pics or does some linking have to be done to transparently feed the pic directory over the network to the remote "server". Even better: if this works, use something more secure (VPN, etc) to do it over the open Internet from anywhere!

2. OTG/Host Mode is almost working reliably and will give you access to USB drives (not to mention full-size keyboards, trackballs and mice, etc--I'm looking forward to connecting my Model-M and CST trackball to it, combining with a TV as a monitor, and leaving my laptop behind for most purposes!).

3. If you leave in the micro-SDHC card, you use UnionFS or similar to bring both it and the internal eMMC together to make one big FS (up to 64 GB)! Using UnionFS you could even add the NFS from #1 above and the USB drives from #2 to add theoretically unlimited storage (though obviously not all the time).

Last edited by storkus; 2010-10-25 at 20:27. Reason: 1. Clarification; 2. Another idea