Active Topics

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Oulu, Finland
"Meh," then! Thanks for indulging my interest, vi_.

I dumped those pngout-crunched files into the ~/.local/ override folder and saw if anything was different. As vi_ said, I don't see any performance differences. Whether it actually saves some RAM remains also a question.

One thing I'd still like to know is about the .png management of Hildon Desktop's app icons and the like - how does it load them and does it cache them in RAM for use - and if so, packed or unpacked?

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
If you have issues with OPT space (so much that saving a megabyte is desirable), why not just re-partition a bit? After flashing I doubled the size of OPT at the expense of file storage space, just because it could be done.

I do not have any problems with space, I have >10GB /opt. It was for the lulz.

Raimu, the icons are loaded into ram with hildon-desktop, I doubt they get swapped out (unless something SERIOUS is going on). So yes, perhaps it would save a couple of K here and there.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Oulu, Finland
vi_, thanks. Interest satisfied.

Posts: 178 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Mira (Venice) - Italy
@vi_
I can't find "optipng" in any repo so I try to recompile it with my N900 without success... Please, can you post the package with the dependencies?

Sorry for my bad english

Originally Posted by Vento View Post
@vi_
I can't find "optipng" in any repo so I try to recompile it with my N900 without success... Please, can you post the package with the dependencies?

Sorry for my bad english
Heh, I cheated. I loaded backup menu and set the phone to USB mass storage mode. This let me edit the /opt partition from my PC, a 1.6GHz laptop. It took 2 hours@1.6GHz christ knows how long it would take on a 600MHz ARM!