Active Topics

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by jnack95 View Post
The problem is not necessarily the clockspeed but the drivers and software do not implement vsync....
VSync has has been discussed I believe in the MeeGo forums and various other places on a more technical level. There are a few knowledgeable people that say it wouldn't make much of a difference on the N900 - Not that I know much about it - just repeating what I picked up elsewhere - apparently the issues run much deeper.

Having the graphics chip run at a higher clock speed is absolutely going to make a difference though. Who doesn't want faster tearing? : )

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Pandora
Originally Posted by dchky View Post
Who doesn't want faster tearing? : )
Yeh.. started dreaming of this while checking with WebOS compatibility list..
Is this process really on going>? Can we overclock the GPU chip (PowerVR SGX) on n900.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 78 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
This is interesting! i don't understand gpu clock adjusting is not found yet.

Higher clock would be nice when the device is getting older by day.

Hope we can shortly!

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ the holy land
maybe we can use the dsp+gpu for gaming ?

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
Even if you allow the GPU to run at say 400MHz, there would only be slight performance difference. We're BANDWIDTH limited here.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Thanks for that link dsawhney!

Wow!
I knew the TI 3440 was about 14% slower than Nexus One's QSD for most things, like in normal usage.
But I had no idea, the Droid X had closed the gap and superseded it by THAT much!

I wonder how much does the Galaxy S best the Droid X?
I have a feeling it should be a lot more since it is using Hummingbird@1GHz (Cortex A8.5) and the newer PowerVr chip.

Also, Hummingbird is NOT A8.5.

Thread of epic facepalm proportions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rickysio For This Useful Post:
Any possibility of a GPU overclock? It's the only thing untouched in clock speed so far

There has been a lot of work done to improve the DSP functionality (720p etc.) but as far as I know, the GPU still doesn't do all the things it's supposed to. If this is correct, then rather than trying to overclock, perhaps the empasis should be on operation?

If anyone reading this can offer a proper explanation of the difference between the role of the GPU and the role of the DSP in the N900 and whether a "fix" for the GPU/drivers would actually improve the device, it would be appreciated. My confusion is because I thought all graphics were handled by the GPU but a lot seems to be done by the DSP.

Originally Posted by rickysio View Post

Also, Hummingbird is NOT A8.5.

Thread of epic facepalm proportions.
Lol you troll.
There is no such thing as Cortex A8.5 I used that point to illustrate the Exynos 3110/Hummingbird S5PC110 superiority compared to the first-gen QSD Snapdragon.

The Exynos can run at 1.3GHz (much faster) and still use less battery than a 1GHz QSD, I know because I made the comparison (Desire vs SGS)

You can now remove your face from your HPalm

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ India
does overclocking gpu have effects in multimedia(like increasing quality of photo/making it to play more 720p videos)?? or does it only increase gaming graphics??

Posts: 313 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by visN900 View Post
does overclocking gpu have effects in multimedia(like increasing quality of photo/making it to play more 720p videos)?? or does it only increase gaming graphics??
No effect, n900 GPU doesn't handle audio/video or image processing. Those tasks are performed by DSP and Image Signal Processor (ISP).