Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by chill View Post
3. exit Pierogi and start it again, Magnavox is selected
4. press right volume button to go to the next favorite - it stays on Magnavox
5. press the same button again, it goes to the next favorite
Drat, looks like this is another subtlety that I've missed. When the user selects a favorite keyset, the current position in the favorite keysets list is marked. But the keyset that gets chosen when Pierogi starts up comes out of the user's QSettings, not out of the favorite keyset selector code. So, I've either forgotten to also check it against the favorites list, or I've made a mistake doing so... I'll try to get a fix for this into the next update. Thanks!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Another small update on its way up to Extras-Devel right now. This one is just to fix the problem with Pierogi not recognizing when the startup keyset is a favorite keyset, and makes a first pass at some Manta DVB-T and DVD keysets.

I'm still plugging away at the more major updates to Pierogi; but, I don't yet have a good estimate as to when those will be done.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 110 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Bangalore
Is it possible to get a remote for Philips SP-080FM Home theater system? I lost the remote and not able to find a replacement as this looks like a very rare model. I've tried with all the possible Philips remotes in Pierogi.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Sandeep View Post
Is it possible to get a remote for Philips SP-080FM Home theater system?
Well, I can't find any config file specifically for that model, but there are a number of other Philips Home Theater config files available. With luck, maybe one of them will be compatible... Let me try and add them in.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
@copernicus
Do you think you could add an autodetect wizard to try one function from all the keysets every 2/3 seconds until a keypress?

For example, i chose the "poweron" key and the wizard tries it from the all the keysets of all brands.
Then i could decide to try the "volume up", "program up"...and so on.

At the end, it should be possible to save the detected working codes to create a personal keyset. (that could also be exported to share it)

Concerning unsupported devices..
I suppose there could be a keyset that is already working with our unsupported device... but the hard part is to find which one could be... or accept that the working codes are mixed and shared between two different keysets.

Last edited by xes; 2014-06-23 at 15:14. Reason: More details

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xes View Post
For example, i chose the "poweron" key and the wizard tries it from the all the keysets of all brands.

At the end, it should be possible to save the detected working codes to create a personal keyset.
This is probably not very easy to do. While I do like to find families of related keysets, the truth is that most devices have fairly unique (and incompatible) infrared control systems. And this is a good thing! When you've got a room filled with audio and video devices, you don't want the controller for one accidentally triggering another. So, there are dozens of different control protocols, and even in each protocol, there are unique "device ids" that are supposed to keep remote controls from triggering the wrong device. It's generally only when manufacturers get lazy that you can combine device keysets. (The exception here would be Sony -- they've done an amazing job of making sure that their IR remote controls are all backwards compatible, forwards compatible, and yet still avoid interference between one another. I've gotta take my hat off to them.)

However, there is another possibility; if you could determine both the IR protocol and the device id value used for a given device, you could then run through all the possible command values. Most protocols only have 128 or 256 possible commands. This still seems like a lot of work to me, but I think it might be doable...

I suppose there could be a keyset that is already working with our unsupported device... but the hard part is to find which one could be... or accept that the working codes are mixed and shared between two different keysets.
My hope is that, for the majority of cases, if there's an unsupported device that has a compatible keyset in Pierogi, it is because both device manufacturers are simply using the same IR hardware (and repackaging/rebranding it). And so, they should have identical keysets. In this case, Pierogi's current "Automated Keyset Search" should be enough to find the compatible keyset...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 110 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Bangalore
That's exactly what i wanted to ask you once i get the response for my query
Originally Posted by xes View Post
@copernicus
Do you think you could add an autodetect wizard to try one function from all the keysets every 2/3 seconds until a keypress?

At the end, it should be possible to save the detected working codes to create a personal keyset. (that could also be exported to share it)

Copernicus, is there a way, or would it be possible to add a way, to call certain remote control commands from the command line? I'm trying to set up an old N900 with my TV as a desktop type machine, and being able to send controls signals from on to t'other using a script would be jolly useful.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following User Says Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
Copernicus, is there a way, or would it be possible to add a way, to call certain remote control commands from the command line?
Absolutely! I have yet to add such functionality to Pierogi, but the Linux Infrared Remote Control (LIRC) software was ported to the N900 long ago. It comes as a server that you run in the background, and includes a collection of command-line utilities that communicate with that server. You just need to feed the server a config file corresponding to your TV, and then call "irsend" to send IR commands.

(It's been a while since I last used LIRC myself, but another user just recently reported using it for their own N900 project...)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Days after the wiki page protection expired spam has started again.
I have extended the protection but I may have to permanently protect the page next time.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:

Tags
infrared, pasta, remote, remote control