Posts: 279 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgrade, Serbia
I realize how this may sound to you. But I'm willing to learn. I know vakkov, e-yes and company are working on NITDroid, but I want to know what skills they have, what programming languages are necessary, everything I would need to do it. I'm 18 years old and I want to become a software engineer, so don't make fun of this question, I'm serious and I have a lot of motivation to learn this.

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 248 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Eindhoven, Netherlands
Start off with a high level language such as python for example to master the basics of programming. Later, you can move on to C/C++ if you think you are ready. The C syntax is used in many other languages such as Objective-C, Java, C#.

Interpreters, compilers, runtime environments etc. are mostly written in C/C++. So you are good with C for reverse engineering operating systems.
Bear in mind however reverse engineering involves assembly programming which may be a bit difficult for beginners.

You better find a good book about programming and reverse engineering.
Make sure you practice a lot. Just reading the book won't help

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ariadeno For This Useful Post:
I know C and C#. Also a little C++, but just enough to recognize it Is C++, can't write programs in it. But I'm pretty good in C and C#. I'm also familiar a little with Linux and working in terminal. Any advice on what to do next...?

send them NITdroid guys a message, offer your help in the project..

The Following User Says Thank You to low For This Useful Post:
That's the thing, I wouldn't know how to help.

Originally Posted by white_ranger View Post
That's the thing, I wouldn't know how to help.
I believe e-yes has quoted a few 'problems' on the developers only section at nitdroid forum, maybe you could take a look.

I believe now the problem might be to build the driver layer because there are no drivers for N9's SoC on android yet, especially on the microphone and camera, since i recall those are proprietary from Nokia

The Following User Says Thank You to BBXiong For This Useful Post:
Out of curiosity, why anyone would want to port "android" to N900, more than it's ported already? It's system much inferior to even Maemo, not to mention any Mer things, or efforts to update Maemo (CSSU, or rebasing Maemo on upstream debian).

If willing to help, maybe it's better idea to focus on one of above projects? Android on N900 wasn't updated since ages, and due to the way android is heading, it doesn't seem that more recent android versions are feasible for anything.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: