Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
An interesting and curious thing (well, to me).
I suddenly remembered that I have another (sim-broken) n900 in a draw, and so charged it up to see if that one could use the ovi store. Sure enough, it could download and install applications without any difficulty!

The curious thing is that it has exactly the same firmware and repositories as my 'working' n900...
It also still has a working facebook widget!

So, am I right in thinking that I can use this one to download the debs, using
'apt-get install -d' and then copy the deb files over to the other n900?

And, thank you quailstorm for the apps.. Much appreciated

The Following User Says Thank You to Dancairo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dancairo View Post
So, am I right in thinking that I can use this one to download the debs, using
'apt-get install -d' and then copy the deb files over to the other n900?
In theory, yes. With only two caveats:
1) You need to know the name of the package (not the app)
2) If package X depends on package Y, you will need to download and install both (unlikely for OVI apps but possible)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Ok, thanks pichlo, probably easiest and better to try and find why it works for one and not the other, at least, first :-D

Also, if i did go down that route, where would the deb files be hiding, and would i be able to browse to the directory using, for example, filebox, or would i have to go through xterm?

Last edited by Dancairo; 2014-11-05 at 21:18.

Originally Posted by Dancairo View Post
Also, if i did go down that route, where would the deb files be hiding, and would i be able to browse to the directory using, for example, filebox, or would i have to go through xterm?
The files would by default go to /var/cache/apt/archives and Filebox or Hamster would be able to fetch them from there for you (not the stock File Manager though). However, to run apt-get you would already be in xterm so it might be easier to just use cp or mv.

Also, apt-get allows to specify an arbitrary directory as the download destination, so you can do it in a single step. The magic option is -o dir::cache=/bla/bla/bla, where the blbablabla could be e.g. /home/MyDocs/Downloads (you may need to create that directory first).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Thanks pichlo, i'll do it that way if i can't figure out why it's not working on the one n900..

Much appreciated

A quick update:
So, I decided to download all the apps that I wanted from Ovi by using the apt-get install -d command, and managed to get all the ones i needed onto the 'broken' n900 and then bluetoothed them across to the other one (found a sneaky way of finding the install filename)..

Then I found this on another forum from 4 years ago!

"I too had this problem where my 3G connection would work fine with MFE and OVI store but the WLAN connection would fail. The problem was the DNS settings on the WIFI connection advanced settings. I needed to set these to public DNS servers rather than depending on them being auto provided by my router"

Just tried to download via 3g and it worked perfectly... So, there's the answer! I hope this helps someone else..

Thanks all for your help and suggestions, i know the ovi store is rubbish but i hate being beaten, and at least i have a backup of all the apps I wanted now :-D

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dancairo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Working fb wiget how ??

I'm not sure. It works perfectly on the one with the sim problem, but not on the one i use daily.
To be honest, I haven't tried too hard to fix it as since going back to the N900 from the galaxy note I've quite enjoyed not having the temptation to check FB and twits all the time...
Having it through the browser makes me self regulate :-D

The Following User Says Thank You to Dancairo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I wonder why. What's different? Here are the contents of my /etc/apt/sources.list.d/hildon-application-manager.list for a comparison:

Code:
deb http://repository.maemo.org/community-testing/ fremantle free non-free
deb http://maemo.merlin1991.at/cssu/community-thumb/ fremantle free non-free
deb https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com/fremantle/ssu/apps/ ./ 
deb https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com/fremantle/ssu/203 ./ 
deb https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com/fremantle1.2/ovi/ ./ 
deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras-testing/ fremantle-1.3 free non-free
Yes, I also have the bolded entry. But if I go to Application Manager, no Ovi stuff shows up. I just searched for angry, and I get no entries.

Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
Yes, I also have the bolded entry. But if I go to Application Manager, no Ovi stuff shows up. I just searched for angry, and I get no entries.
Ahh, that would be because they are in the "hidden" category. You can still install them by apt-get, provided you know the package name. You can try apt-get instalľ angry*. It will ask you before it starts installing.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
ovi apps