Posts: 40 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ India Munbai
Hi all
I am using n900 and 5800 both.i want to install MDICTONARY on n900 which is very useful to me.pls let me know is there any method to install it.I'm ready to install new os on n900 that can support MSDICT.But i dont know how to install other os on n900.Because of MSDICT i'm using 5800 which i want to sell.

i don't know about mdictionary for the 5800, but MStarDict and QStarDict for Maemo work great with any dictionaries in StarDict format. Try them out and see how it goes. Converters exist to change dictionaries from many formats to StarDict. I've successfully done this with a range of formats so let me know if you need help.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to travik For This Useful Post:
Could you explain how to do this?

Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
Originally Posted by travik View Post
i don't know about mdictionary for the 5800, but MStarDict and QStarDict for Maemo work great with any dictionaries in StarDict format. Try them out and see how it goes. Converters exist to change dictionaries from many formats to StarDict. I've successfully done this with a range of formats so let me know if you need help.
MStarDict seems to work but no luck with QStarDict as far as I am concerned.

Oh I want that converters too.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Nagoya, Japan
QStarDict is broken since PR1.3. The latest version in extras-devel should work fine though. You must enable the extras-devel repository to download it. Search on the forum to know how to do that.

The Following User Says Thank You to FBergeron For This Useful Post:
Ive found converts for Babylon, Lingvo, Langenscheidt, and PWN (polish) formats. It seems mdictionary for symbian used plugins distributed in .sis files, no idea what format theyre in. the mdictionary project for earlier versions of maemo just used xdxf and stardict formats.

Do you have specific mdictionaries your particulary attached to? Have you looked at the available stardict dics? There used to be a bunch hosted on sorceforge, but they were taken down at some point. the cache exists with their exact file names, and with a bit of googling you can still find many great dics already in the format.

Oh, and I never had much luck with Qstardict. Would only recognize some of my dictionaries. Mstardict works with them all. Others experiences might vary.

Last edited by travik; 2010-11-04 at 21:48.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
I use QStarDict, and it reads all of my dictionaries/encyclopedias.
There are minor problems with article formatting, but it's not important.
All Babylon dictionaries can be found on the Internet already converted to StarDict format, though you may need torrent to download them.
There is
http://reciteword.cosoft.org.cn/star.../stardict-dic/
but the download is really slow.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Ok, good news, I've figured out how to convert mdictionary for Symbian dictionaries into StarDict format.

This assumes you are using Debian-based Linux.

1. Download the raw .txt file from the mdictionary project site. I used the GE-EN file linked to on the main mdictionary page (http://mdictionary.sourceforge.net/c...ate-dictionary), http://mdictionary.svn.sourceforge.n...i.txt?view=log. Navigate down to /Databases to see other dictionaries.

2. Open it with your favorite text editor (i just used gedit). Replace the | symbol that separates word from definition with a tab character (\t).

3. Save it, making sure to set the encoding as UTF-8 and the line endings as Unix/Linux.

4. install the stardict-tools package (apt-get install stardict-tools), or compile it from source

5. run stardict-editor

6. Point it towards the edited .txt file. Hit build.

7. It will generate three files, .dict.dz, .idx, .ifo. Move these to your .dic file on your N900 (usually /home/user/.stardict/dic).

8. Enjoy using Qstardict or Mstardict.

That was rather fun for me to figure out, but the dictionary I did it on wasn't very good compared to what is available already in stardict format. Hopefully the process is useful nonetheless.

If you don't run linux or feel especially lazy write me and I'll convert it and send it to you.

Last edited by travik; 2010-11-04 at 23:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to travik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 122 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ China
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Quick reply...
I use QStarDict, and it reads all of my dictionaries/encyclopedias.
There are minor problems with article formatting, but it's not important.
All Babylon dictionaries can be found on the Internet already converted to StarDict format, though you may need torrent to download them.
There is
http://reciteword.cosoft.org.cn/star.../stardict-dic/
but the download is really slow.
Thank you so much! I was looking for them so long, couldn't find.
Coz they removed links from sourceforge.

The Following User Says Thank You to jukzh For This Useful Post:
I have installed MStardict and also downloaded file named "stardict-babylon-cambridgev2_b13-2.4.2.tar.bz2" from the site you mentioned.what to do next.

The Following User Says Thank You to sagaradate For This Useful Post: