Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
On the pinephone just install the image to a SD card or Jumpdrive and mount the EMMC to install or do we need to add uboot somewhere.
I will check the hash and try again for a SD boot.
On second try same thing so I am going to let it sit for a while and assmue it is unpacking itself onto the SD. All I get is the RGB LED and a black screen.
I have not yet made a serial cable so cant read console from boot.
This will be the first time I boot Maemo-7!
I found the most recent pre-built image (June 2020) doesn't work on the pinephone convergence edition (with larger RAM). On my device I get the red LED of nothingness.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Albuquerque, NM, USA
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
I found the most recent pre-built image (June 2020) doesn't work on the pinephone convergence edition (with larger RAM). On my device I get the red LED of nothingness.
Download u-boot and flash it to the disk. Use the 624 for the highest speed.

Code:
dd if=sunxi-with-spl-pinephone-SPEED.bin of=/dev/sdcard bs=1024 seek=8
Furthermore, there is a newer image available now. There is a u-boot included with the leste files, but I don't know what speed it is or if it includes support for the 3GB.

Last edited by preflex; 2020-11-03 at 00:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
On the pinephone just install the image to a SD card or Jumpdrive and mount the EMMC to install or do we need to add uboot somewhere.
Just flash to sd. It's only configured to boot that way. I know the fstab is set up just to read /dev/mmcblk0p2 as / . There may be other stuff you need to change to get it to work from emmc. I'll look into it later today.

EDIT: Definitely need to change more than just fstab.

Last edited by preflex; 2020-11-03 at 09:23.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post:
Performance has improved a lot since the last pinephone image. I get the feeling it would benefit a lot from the megi's latest 5.9 kernel with the 60hz patches, but I have no idea how to install it.

I guess Megi should be putting out a new multi-image within the next couple weeks, and that should include it if I don't have it figured out by then.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post:
No on-screen keyboard in any browser. :-(

I guess the Pinephone is the only leste phone without a hardware keyboard, for now ...

[EDIT] Xephyr + Firefox + Onboard should work, eh?

Last edited by preflex; 2020-11-03 at 02:48.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
What does U-boot do on pinephone?
I had backupmenu on my N900 and never did U-boot.

As for keyboard I think the majority of us will be getting the hardware keyboard once it is available, unless 2020 really is The Year of the Jackpot.(Heinlein)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
The on screen keyboard worked for me. But I was using the multi-boot. Will eventually move to a few sdcard for testing my choice OSs.

x

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Wizzup_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Wow!!! Respect!!! I hope that when the sms and calls are ready I will have many N900 devices ready and working for new users. I got info that most of the usb fixes have been done. After I get them back and put devices together I start to hunt down missing keyboards, keyboard frames and backcovers. Then there would be about 40-50 devices.

I have read that people are struggling with N900 phones because carriers drop down 3G support and they say they become unusable. I do not understand about these things and have just thought that 3G phone can not use 4G network. But then there are this kind of articles which suggest that you can use 4g netwotk with a 3g sim but it just does not support the 4g speed https://maccablo.com/convert-3g-phone-to-4g-phone/

Am I right that this is not working with N900 but that you need a usb 4G receiver to be able to connect to 4g network?

Are these fake news or true?

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Last edited by Maemish; 2020-12-29 at 09:48.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
Wow!!! Respect!!! I hope that when the sms and calls are ready I will have many N900 devices ready and working for new users. I got info that most of the usb fixes have been done. After I get them back and put devices together I start to hunt down missing keyboards, keyboard frames and backcovers. Then there would be about 40-50 devices.

I have read that people are struggling with N900 phones because carriers drop down 3G support and they say they become unusable. I do not understand about these things and have just thought that 3G phone can not use 4G network. But then there are this kind of articles which suggest that you can use 4g netwotk with a 3g sim but it just does not support the 4g speed https://maccablo.com/convert-3g-phone-to-4g-phone/

Am I right that this is not working with N900 but that you need a usb 4G receiver to be able to connect to 4g network?

Are these fake news or true?
One of my N900 broke the USB connector. Where did you sent yours for repair? I still have some parts of another N900 if you need

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:

Tags
leste, maemo 7