Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
My nephew and his wife were proudly showing off how their ipod touch supplied them with a new game to challenge them every single day. For a mere 60p. That works out at over £200/year!!! Talk about rip off! I was staggered that they considered this good value.

It's pretty natural that the iphone would have gazillions of games. After all, that's one of the things all the hype was for: to get developers thinking it's the xbox/nintendo/playstation of the mobile world and develop like good little drones. Of course, it worked
I'm not very clear on the maemo 3d system (i understand it supports a stripped-down version of opengl?), but being linux it should support lots of linux games (and there are a number of them, quite good too). Also, as someone mentioned, countless free flash games!

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
It's kind of hard/unfair to compare the number of native games on the iPhone and Maemo platforms when you consider that one isn't released yet and the other has been out with tons of developer support for a long time already.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
It's kind of hard/unfair to compare the number of native games on the iPhone and Maemo platforms when you consider that one isn't released yet and the other has been out with tons of developer support for a long time already.
Indeed, even reviewers are whining about the lack of content for Maemo 5. Well what the F do you expect, the phone hasn't even been released yet and there are less than 300 prototype devices. Of course there aren't going to be that many apps for it. Whenever i see a reviewer this early complain about such a problem, he doesn't know what he's talking about. How much time did it take for the Iphone to have such a store??

The Following User Says Thank You to GunnerzMate For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
It's what's called "Barrier of entry", ladies and gentleman.. If a person\company pioneers some sort of new venture, and they don't slack off to keep building up on their product\technologies, then it's the distance the new competitors have to catch up to them.

Fortunately this isn't an insurmountable obstacle for Maemo, but still it's a rather formidable one given iTunes Store's significant marketshare in digital content market.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by GunnerzMate View Post
Indeed, even reviewers are whining about the lack of content for Maemo 5. [...] and there are less than 300 prototype devices.[...]
just a little correction, no offense ;-) :

PREviewers... not REviewers
and there are more than 400 prototype devices..
but I'm with your opinion!

;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Must admit there are some great games on the iPhone that would be nice to have on the N900.

I have an odd obsession for artillery games like Scorched Earth and games like Crayon Physics.

android has 256MB for application install (unless they 'break it')...considering some iphone games e.g. myst run at 720MB android has its limitations for the common user.

Nokia N900 has 2GB wish it does not run into the same issues as Android as the games get better...

Couldn't the 2gb limitation be overcome by just storing game data in the home directory? Seems like what any sensible developer of a massive game would do on the n900.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by dmj726 View Post
Couldn't the 2gb limitation be overcome by just storing game data in the home directory? Seems like what any sensible developer of a massive game would do on the n900.
Could go the whole hog and just stuff the game onto a MicroSD and then you have stupid amounts of space. Market it as a retro feel and someone will call it an innovation. LOL.