Between planes, airports, and hotels, a WiFi connection is usually always available to her.
Considering many of those want roughly 10 USD a day for access, I hope she can expense it. The occasional one offers free access, but I've found free access to be very rare.

It's funny, the lack of truly ubiquitous access is what kept me away from the N800/N810. With 3G data support I whole-heartedly jumped on the platform. The draw of being a device running an actual linux distro and not the "linux in kernel only" that is Android is a double plus.

But then I'm also a software engineer who enjoys FOSS philosophies (reasonably) so I am biased.

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Originally Posted by go1dfish View Post
iPod Touch can't run more than one app at a timet.
Jailbreaking cures that in under 10 minutes.

iPod ... and good luck doing voip on it.\
There are several ways of doing this. All you need is a headset with a mic and an app...Fring, Skype...or even GV Mobile.

The biggest impediment I see mentioned to using the n900 more like the old NIT's is the lack of bluetooth dun client support. Yes this is lame.

Can you tether an iPod Touch over bluetooth?
Doesn't this solve the DUN issue?
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/M...bluetooth-dun/

I'd pay serious coin for DUN on my Touch.

Last edited by mfortner; 2009-12-31 at 21:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to mfortner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
The N900 has 32GB of memory, so you have to at least go up to $299, which is how much the 32GB Touch costs. Add in the camera and the hardware keyboard the Touch doesn't have and an OS that has a lot of freedom to the user, I think the pricepoint is still reasonable for a new product.
I didn't say the price of the N900 was unreasonable. I said: Not everyone needs an SUV.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
OK, my point is here -

I work with Linux OS from ... something around 1993.
I had and I have in my hands a lot of Linux equipment (including Zaurus).

But I bought N900 primarily because it has both - Linux and cell-phone.

Without cellphone I opt for netbook with normal KBD and decent CPU etc. The N900 form factor is attractive for me only because it has a phone inside - I am tired to keep in my pockets cellphone amid with Palm and I don't want just replace my Palm. And of course, from many choices I prefer a full Linux.

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Nobody says you shouldn't have a cellphone with your tablet. Good for you!

So, are you saying every Maemo user should have to have a cellphone? That's the question. (And we know what Apple's answer was to that question, and how it worked out for them.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't have a sim card for my N900 but yesterday I used Skype to text to a friend in Moscow (it's snowing and snowing there) and had a long conversation with Skype (not to Moscow) today that was good quality, better than other Skype experiences I've had.

But I think I'm already over my frenzy with the N900; it's not good for some of the things I like to do -- back to my Kindle and Netbook for them, and occasional uses of the N900. I think I'll use my N800 about as often, since it plays Audible books, whereas the N900 doesn't.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i suspect that mifi have leveled the playing field...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Considering many of those want roughly 10 USD a day for access, I hope she can expense it. The occasional one offers free access, but I've found free access to be very rare.

It's funny, the lack of truly ubiquitous access is what kept me away from the N800/N810. With 3G data support I whole-heartedly jumped on the platform. The draw of being a device running an actual linux distro and not the "linux in kernel only" that is Android is a double plus.

But then I'm also a software engineer who enjoys FOSS philosophies (reasonably) so I am biased.
Free WiFi is now a perk doled out to frequent travellers. Hotel chains, private airline lounges, and rental car companies offer access to many "Hotspots" using membership credentials.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-01-01 at 07:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
I'm pretty sure that Nokia has a vertical OS strategy, which means phone - tablet - mini laptop. Qt has a big role in this strategy.

The Following User Says Thank You to naabi For This Useful Post:
nokia a billion dollar enterprise just does not get it-the mobile phone users of 15 years ago -those first users of the mobile phone have evolved -they want a phone for making calls and a internet device for the web-they want seperate items-they are now serious people who use phones for business etc-the tablet/computer must have a decent sized screen for those tired eyes-n900 are good for 20-30 year olds but after that the phone must just be -a phone -simple to use -and what little time is left over after a long working day-then a tablet -to check the weather

The Following User Says Thank You to yukop4 For This Useful Post: