Notices

I've compiled and packaged GNU Emacs 23.1.1 for the Nokia N900 GNU mobile phone:

http://sumoudou.org/0/14.html

The install package is fully optified.

UPDATE: 2009-12-15-174333 Installation deb package on the GNU Emacs page in the link updated and uploaded again.

Last edited by 白い熊; 2009-12-15 at 14:44.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to 白い熊 For This Useful Post:
what is gmu emacs and does someone in general need this or is it for programming?

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Houston, TX
Originally Posted by 白い熊 View Post
I've compiled and packaged GNU Emacs 23.1.1 for the Nokia N900 GNU mobile phone:

http://sumoudou.org/0/14.html

The install package is fully optified.
Sweet! This will be one of my first stops toward perfecting the N900 once it arrives.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Houston, TX
Originally Posted by backwoods View Post
what is gmu emacs and does someone in general need this or is it for programming?
The answer for some of us is "Yes, emacs is great in general" and "Yes, it's for programming".

It's mostly for programmers and other bit-twiddling geeks.

Originally Posted by akpoff View Post
The answer for some of us is "Yes, emacs is great in general" and "Yes, it's for programming".
For me, the answer is: "GNU Emacs is the greatest piece of software ever written!" Intimidating at first, but once you start using it, you never cease to be amazed what you can do with it.

I can't live without it...

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen
First of all I would like to thank you so much for compiling this!

Secondly, I have some problems with the install. I followed your new instructions for basic installation found on http://sumoudou.org/相撲外:GNU%20Emacs%...ia%20N900.html. It does install but gives me the following message:
Code:
Failed to open connection to "session" message bus: (null)
I don't know if this is problematic, but the fact remains that I cannot start emacs from the icon in the application menu and not on the command line if I just try to run "emacs" (or "emacs-23.1). I have to give include the full path (that is /opt/emacs.../bin/emacs) so it seems that the I probably have to export the path manually (no big problem).

A bigger problem seems to be related to the input method. Have you compiled it with some specific setting regarding input method? Unlike in other native maemo apps the Fn and Shift keys are not "sticky" -- you have to hold them down when hitting other keys and cannot just press them, release them and then hit the key they shall modify. This is rather annoying on the small keyboard.

There is also a problem related to the tool bar. As long as it is turned on, I cannot se the mini-buffer (no big problem since I always put "(tool-bar-mode -1)" in my .emacs).

Finally, I cannot open a directory in emacs (just individual files). If I try to, I get the following message:
Code:
Listing directory failed but `acces-file' worked
Are these problems also present in your install?

The very best regards and many thanks

Originally Posted by filologen View Post
Yo, most of the problems are not inherent in this build of GNU Emacs and I've solved them.

So:
It does install but gives me the following message:
Code:
Failed to open connection to "session" message bus: (null)
When does it do that, when installing?
I don't know if this is problematic, but the fact remains that I cannot start emacs from the icon in the application menu and not on the command line if I just try to run "emacs" (or "emacs-23.1). I have to give include the full path (that is /opt/emacs.../bin/emacs) so it seems that the I probably have to export the path manually (no big problem).
You're right, I don't use the optified GNU Emacs install, I just made it for everyone's benefit here, but probably need to check into how optification really works on N900, as you're right that the PATH doesn't include anything in /opt
Currently, I can propose that you either: edit the /usr/share/applications/hildon/emacs.desktop file and change emacs to /opt/emacs...whatever - give it full path, or add: export PATH=/opt/*/bin:$PATH to /home/user/.profile
A bigger problem seems to be related to the input method. Have you compiled it with some specific setting regarding input method? Unlike in other native maemo apps the Fn and Shift keys are not "sticky" -- you have to hold them down when hitting other keys and cannot just press them, release them and then hit the key they shall modify. This is rather annoying on the small keyboard.
No, keys are not sticky in Emacs. I know what you're saying it's bothering me too, but haven't figured out so far how to make them sticky...
There is also a problem related to the tool bar. As long as it is turned on, I cannot se the mini-buffer (no big problem since I always put "(tool-bar-mode -1)" in my .emacs).
Yeah, the solution to this:
http://sumoudou.org/0/20.html

Finally, I cannot open a directory in emacs (just individual files). If I try to, I get the following message:
Code:
Yeah, this is because the N900 doesn't use proper GNU base tools like coreutils etc, but the damned busybox instead, and you cannot install these tools from the dev repositories, because they conflict with busybox and it's needed by hildon UI etc.

I've solved this issue very elegantly.

I've developped a framework which allows me with a set of scripts to install any self-compiled program into any user directory, not messing with the base system and only dynamically exporting paths etc. This has the beauty, that you can have a number of version of one program installed, user and root can have different apps installed and you never mess anything up, because nothing gets overwritten or deleted. And no root privileges are necessary for any program linking...

I'm in the process of documenting my scripts and would like to post a writeup of this on my site. They are already packaged into one directory and easily installable. Just need to write the how to.

After this, you can just copy over further packages I've compiled, like the base utils and only dynamically export their paths, and it'll work.

You'll then be able to use dired in GNU Emacs etc., which you're not able to now.

BTW, that's how I have also Emacs itself setup, as I use my system for "optification"...

Once I post it, I'll also write here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 白い熊 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen
Thanks a lot for your prompt answers

When does it do that, when installing?
Yes, when installing.

Nice solution with maxframe, I had allready thought of this, but hadn't tried it out.

I am looking much forward to your write up on the solution regarding coreutils etc., since the use of busybox is one of my only disappointments about the n900 (and one of the reasons behind my quite frequent use of easy debian).

Once again, thanks for all the stuff you do for the community, including the nice guides and howtos on your website!

Thanks a lot! I have further configured your .emacs to avoid calling maximize-frame by hand.

http://turingmachine.org/blog/index....-the-N900.html

--dmg

The Following User Says Thank You to dmg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by filologen View Post
[...]
Code:

The very best regards and many thanks

easy to fix:

(setq dired-use-ls-dired nil)
(setq list-directory-brief-switches "-C")

It makes for a hell of a file browser.

--dmg