Originally Posted by iball View Post
That's nice, but make it more of a secondary thing where it can be easily used WITHOUT a SIM chip.
Amen, brother.
Originally Posted by iball View Post
Make it cheaper, more open, and easier to use than Skype and they'll have a nice cash cow.
Amen again. I've entered the church of William Shatner!

My crystal ball just told me that Nokia will buy Clearwire and Skype (and revise accordingly). Nokia will then leverage Sprint's Wimax network by selling phones to Verizon. As such, Sprint realizes it's better off developing Wimax with Nokia in relation to their suite of tablets (N900, N1000, N2000). But just will the new N2000 do...?

Skype's owned by eBay now so forget that happening.
However, Clearwire looks promising...

Clearwire, founded in October 2003 by Craig O. McCaw, is a provider of reliable, wireless high-speed Internet service. Headquartered in Kirkland, Wash., the company launched its first market in August 2004 and now offers service in 40 U.S. markets, covering approximately 10 million people in more than 420 municipalities in Alaska, California, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Minnesota, Nevada, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin in the United States, as well as over 1 million people in Ireland and Belgium.
But their current U.S. coverage map is disappointing. And with US $1 billion in loan debt that's a huge amount for a potential buyer to soak up for currently-limited coverage, even in major US markets.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
I am quite curious how large a WIMAX-enabled N800 would be given the current modem sizes (e.g. the ones offered by Bell, Rogers, Clearwire). Even the new WIMAX PC card that Clearwire got FCC approval for is quite bulky.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I doubt you'll see a noticeable increase in size, if any at all.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I hope it has a larger capacity battery... one we can then buy for our non-WiMax N800s!

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I doubt you'll see a noticeable increase in size, if any at all.
That's what I am hoping is the case. I just find it hard to reconcile that wish against the current sizes of the WIMAX modems and pc cards. Perhaps I'm missing something...

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
That's what I am hoping is the case. I just find it hard to reconcile that wish against the current sizes of the WIMAX modems and pc cards. Perhaps I'm missing something...
Basically, as the WiMax standard matures, small IC chips are being developed for it. It takes a while for the market to become large enough for it to be worthwhile for a semiconductor company to do it. Similar thing happened with CDMA and WiFi. The Nokia IT will use one of these IC chips.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Basically, as the WiMax standard matures, small IC chips are being developed for it. It takes a while for the market to become large enough for it to be worthwhile for a semiconductor company to do it. Similar thing happened with CDMA and WiFi. The Nokia IT will use one of these IC chips.
Thanks for the clarification. Like I said, I was missing something!

Here ya go 55 bones for unlimited data. I would pay that if i could drop my cell and use skype or another voip service for phone calls.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Nokia and Intel have formally agreed to use Intel chips in WiMax version tablet. Good news that they are cooperating. I wonder if there are restrictions on the release date of the WiMax version tablet because of this since Intel is carefully controlling the launch of the laptop chipsets using the WiMax chip.

http://telephonyonline.com/home/news..._wimax_092607/