I was wondering about the possibility of using the N800 as a wifi router to share a 3G tethered connection. The default UI does not offer this feature, although one site said that it could be possible to connect via bluetooth using Hildon, and then use wireless-tools to make the connection.

The problem was that iptables-nat isn't included as part of the kernel, and the dude at the time couldn't compile it to get it to work. Another user mentioned setting up a SOCKS proxy on the tablet, and that might work : /.

Reason I ask this is because I often tether my phone to my PC, and when I dual boot between Windows and Linux it fscks the connection every time, and it would probably be easier to simply connect ad-hoc over my PDA.

Also, I think this could have other uses, such as setting up a quick wireless network for on the go internet sharing between laptops in a car.

Would be great if I could get some help on this, my programming experience is limited to some Java xD.

Here is the original site that I am referencing.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/maemo/users/34304

this would be a good app. But, would have to be an app... it doesn't support it in the n810's firmware. Something like iTouch's PdaNet would be good. You plug your itouch into a computer and it sends out a wifi signal. Or you plug it in and it acts like a wifi card. We could use a similar concept but with a phone's 3G over bluetooth.... and the above uses would be helpful too.

Originally Posted by melon gaming View Post
this would be a good app. But, would have to be an app... it doesn't support it in the n810's firmware. Something like iTouch's PdaNet would be good. You plug your itouch into a computer and it sends out a wifi signal. Or you plug it in and it acts like a wifi card. We could use a similar concept but with a phone's 3G over bluetooth.... and the above uses would be helpful too.
Yeah, I think an app would probably work best.

Unfortunately, my programming experience is limited to some relatively simple Java apps : /.