Ok, we're looking at going boating this summer and I want to take my NIT with me out on the lake. However, I have this unenviable ability to be the first one to take a swim or a fall off the boat, whether I want to or not. So my finding myself in the water is not an if, but a when. (trust me, don't ask.)

So here's my dilemma. 1. I need something waterproof that will still allow me to use my NIT while on the boat, and 2. It needs to float. I expect it to be either in my hands or in my pouch most of the time, but should it go over the side through my general effort at epic klutziness, I want it to stay near the top so I don't have to go scuba diving to get the darned thing.

Any ideas? I've considered using a heavy duty glad quart freezer bag for this, but I'm not sure how well that'll work.

Ziploc bag attached to a piece of foam, either attached with a string to the non-sealable end or glued to the bag itself.

Test it out in water to see how well it floats.

Done deal.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
however you waterproof it, think like an astronaut and tether it to yourself.
give a long enough leash and a quick release mechanism

something like this:
http://www.enforce-logic.co.uk/lanyard01a.jpg

speaking of such things, it would make life simpler if we had a proper lanyard mounting point.
ive considered drilling through the top of the stylus slot in the past.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
N810 in plastic bag. 3.5mm wire coming from headphone port, sealed with glue or something else. See picture for details.
Attached Images

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I go boating all the time.

I keep it in my 810 in my wife's purse, next to her 810. She ain't letting that purse get wet. I also only use on on the boat, not while tubing
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

nooooooooo penguinbait,
I hope you keep your n810's in their cases.

we all know what happens when 2 naked nokias get together on a romantic cruise.

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Ahh, so maybe that's where the next gen tablet is coming from.....

Sorry, but someone had to

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
speaking of such things, it would make life simpler if we had a proper lanyard mounting point.
ive considered drilling through the top of the stylus slot in the past.
The kickstand on the N810 has just enough flexibility to use it for this, esp around the backplate release button. Maybe not convenient, but about the only place you can attach a lanyard to without opening/hard modding. You could also get away without drilling if your lanyard can fit through the speaker holes, but you'd probably need to dissassemble the unit to fit it.

Try this, it works http://www.coolsmartphone.com/article711.html - dont bother buying them, pick up a few for free at planned parenthood