Poll: What is your language
Poll Options
What is your language

Native: Nepali
Everyday: English

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
I wish there was a distinction between "English" and "American".
There is, actually. American English (US) and British English (GB). I say Tire, you say Tyre. I say color, you say colour. I say alu'-min-um, you say al-u-min'-i-um. I say eraser, you say rubber. You want a smoke, I.. prefer you didn't.

@ Lord of Dans:

Have you tried your Portuguese in Brazil or oddly enough the Lazio region of Italy?
I've never been outside of the US, except once a decade ago to drive out to British Columbia, Canada, to visit friends in the Vancouver area. But then, Brazilian Portuguese isn't the same as Portuguese in the same way American English (US) isn't the same as English (GB). Even the accent is VERY different. If I said, "Good day!" to you in Portuguese, it would be "Bom Dia!" pronounced like (boe-ng dthee-ah), whereas a Brazilian would say the same thing but pronounce it as (boe-ng jee-ah).

I took three years of Portuguese in High School in addition to having an almost 100% Portuguese family with much of them speaking ONLY Portuguese most of my earliest years growing up. But they're all mainland Portuguese. I had a Brazilian teacher teaching BOTH versions in my third year of Portuguese class, so I got some coaching in it as well but I don't know anyone that speaks it.

I was on a project in Aprilla, Latina and some of the start-up staff were pulled from our Sao Paulo division. Although their native tongue was Portuguese, they told me they were better understood and felt more at home on site in that region of Italy then they did when they visited Portugal or other areas of Italy over long week-ends for R & R.
Nah, their native tongue is Brazilian Portuguese. It's like an American saying they speak English. They're KINDA right. To me, the hard J's sprinkled about makes them sound more like Italians. Mainland Portuguese, to me, sounds a lot like Russian--with a lot of lazy zsh's and sh's.

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Michigan
Neat topic,

1st language is English (At times my posts don't show that lol)

2nd language is Japanese don't use it all the time so at times I struggle with Kanji recognition and being polite

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Barcelona
Although my passport says I'm spanish, my language isn't the same as Cervantes'. I speak Catalan, which is the language of Catalunya.
Although we are part of Spain, many people in here (like me) consider ourselves quite different from the rest of Spain (and not only because of the language difference).

However, I do know spanish pretty well: most of my friends speak in it and I do so too regularly.

Therefore:

1- Catalan
2- Spanish
3- English

Originally Posted by somedude View Post
Native: Nepali
Everyday: English
yeah.... vote for nepali language

Posts: 212 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on May 2010 @ India
1.Telugu
2.Hindi
3.English

Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
1. French
2. English (Not so well but enough to check online Forums. )
3. Spanish (Learned at school but I Did not like it)

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Madrid
1. spanish: Native, I'm from Spain
2.English: I learned it by travelling and also playing videogames in english, also I had studied it, so english is my second lenguage
3. catalan: I travel a lot to the place in Spain where Catalan is the main language, so I learned it a bit, I can't talk it, but I understand it perfectly because catalan share a lot of spanish words.