Active Topics

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey all.

I'd like to make a finger friendly touch screen keyboard for both landscape and portrait modes by modifying the hildon keyboard configuration files.

Is it even possible to change the geometry of each key and is it also possible to feature action keys such as ALT and CTRL?

I'm not finding much after searching the forums here.

If not, would someone be willing to compile Matchbox Keyboard for us?

Xkbd is really beginning to show it's age and Xvkbd requires hacking the source code before compiling to change it's overall layout.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
It's not really possible with the default virtual keyboards -- you need the Arabic one Mer was trying to use which seems to support custom layouts.

Note that unfortunately also the virtual keyboard can only produce printable output and a very reduced set of nonprintable keys (Return, Backspace, etc.) which means showing Alt or Ctrl there is pretty much out of the question.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Well shoot.

ukki mentioned something last night that he thought someone had previously tried to compile the source code for matchbox keyboard but it turned out to be a hot mess on the tablet.

Javis, do you know of any modern input method outside of xkbd and xvkbd that could be used on a N8x0?

I'd like to make a finger friendly keyboard that could be used for DialCentral, no stylus needed anymore.

Thanks!

If you guys can figure out anything, let me know!
I don't really know how to program on the tablets/in linux in general, but I'll do anything I can to help.