EDIT:
These scripts for creating backup of maemo packages are now obsolated (but still can be used to verify openess of packages).

I created patch for apt-mirror which can download packages also from downloads.maemo.nokia.com, so apt-mirror is good way to backup apt rpositories. See wiki page: http://wiki.maemo.org/Apt-mirror

We know that Nokia abandoned Maemo5 and some day Nokia will stop Maemo5 repositories (SDK, apps, extras...). So I'm started creating shell scripts which will backup maemo 5 fremanle repositories (downloads.maemo.nokia.com and repository.maemo.org).

Scripts can also create package index (from repositories) and separate open and closed source. Some info about closed packages wrote Carsten Munk on his page - but it was for PR1.1. I asked him for application which generated his page, but he refuse publish it. So I'm created my own (scripts + wiki page).

I published all my scripts attached in this post/thread. It may contains bugs and download script is very very slow - but it works.

Size:
downloads.maemo.nokia.com mr0+apps 280MB
repository.maemo.org sdk+tools+nokia-binaries 5.8GB

Backed repositories are fully compatible with apt, so it may be used for n900 as mirror server.

How to use scripts:
download.sh - backup packages (source + binary) from repositories specified in sources.list and use authorisation informations from file auth (both files are in n900 in /etc/apt)

other scripts needs downloaded indexes files from repositories

installed-packages.sh need dpkg status file (copy from n900 after reflash /var/lib/dpkg/status)

Now I can say, that in default PR1.3 image is 355 closed packages and 364 open. But a lot of closed packages are now open (on meego.gitorious.org or maemo.gitorious.org or in CSSU) and a lot of are marketing/third-party (skype, flash, installers) and some maybe be replaced (ofono, icd2, ...)

I created wiki page where is table of all closed packages + info:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_closed_packages

I wrote some informations about packages (if exists alternative, if is now open, ...) - but not for all packages. Maybe this will be good start point how to clean/rewrite Maemo 5. Anybody who is interesting in this is welcome.
Attached Files
File Type: gz maemo-package-scripts.tar.gz (2.7 KB, 253 views)

Last edited by pali; 2012-06-19 at 14:47.

The Following 99 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
AapoRantalainen, abill_uk, abubakar, acrux, ahmadamaj, akaSM, Alfred, AlMehdi, arcean, bingomion, bipinbn, casketizer, casper27, cproc, D@vIcHoJD, danramos, daperezg, daperl, dar3d3vil, datjomp, Dave999, davedickson, debernardis, DfLo1913, don_falcone, egoshin, Estel, evan, F2thaK, foobar, freemangordon, fw190, haffid, hhmah, HtheB, ivgalvez, jaanusa, jedi, johnel, JohnLF, Joseph9560, jpala16, jurop88, kevloral, kitwalker, kl2010, klinglerware, kmare, kojacker, kureyon, latindark, lore, Magik, malfunctioning, MartinK, mehulrajput, Mentalist Traceur, mesz, MINKIN2, misterc, moepda, MohammadAG, Mr.bot, mrsellout, mr_jrt, mscion, nicholes, nicolai, NIN101, nkirk, onion, OVK, panjgoori, pelago, Protegio, reinob, scoobydoo, sifo, sinaisix, sjgadsby, Skaven2k2, skykooler, slender, Sohil876, Sourav.dubey, sr00t, SSLMM, StefanL, TeHeR, TimusEravan, tuxsavvy, WilliePre, wumpwoast, Xagoln, xopher, ysss, Zaerc, zoner
Also, it seems like someone from one of those countries where copyright is ignored to go ahead and make a large torrent image with *everything*(all closed packages, open packages, firmware images, etc.) just in case...
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 136 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Greece
maemo5 may well have the kind of support that diablo has, but I don't see them closing down the repositories any time soon.
But then again, can we trust them not to do just that?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to evan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Guatemala
great work, thank you so much

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
This is good news if i ever seen on here and i hope pali is not hindered by anyone, i did note from his post that Carsten once again refuses to cooperate and that is still sad news but never the less good luck with this because i can tell you many people want this to happen !.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Out of interest how large are the repos currently (extras, testing + dev, plus the others, Nokia etc)?

Can't see them closing them down any time soon, but would be a good idea to back everything up and I'd be happy to help (with server space etc or anything else)

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
pali: Please see my email in regards to downloads.maemo.nokia.com deb files, amongst that link that I provided, there are other bits and pieces of things that I have found and noted which maybe can be of use to you

(edit) I'm currently on IRC on the same #maemo channel if you need to contact me (/edit)

extras, extras-testing and extras-devel are very very big. I will not backup it (sorry, but with my scripts can other users do it).

downloads.maemo.nokia.com has 280MB and SDK+tools+nokia-binaries has now on my disk 5.8GB (and still downloading)

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Well I don't mind backing up the lot (plus updating as new stuff is added - so if they do shut it down we have a complete backup), just need to know how big it is first, to ensure I have enough space. Can anyone give me an estimate, or is there anyway to work it out

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by davedickson View Post
Well I don't mind backing up the lot (plus updating as new stuff is added - so if they do shut it down we have a complete backup), just need to know how big it is first, to ensure I have enough space. Can anyone give me an estimate, or is there anyway to work it out
My old mirrored downloads.maemo.org amongst a few other repositories totalled around half a terabyte. This doesn't include downloads.maemo.nokia.com (which requires a slightly different method to download) and it includes repositories from other 3rd party developers. Also it doesn't contain any harmattan stuff.

If I were to run that mirror script now it would probably tell me there would be another 4+GB worth of downloads to grab minus downloads.maemo.nokia.com and harmattan-dev repositories.

The Following User Says Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:

Tags
apt-mirror, closed packages, futureproofing, orphaned, repository dump