Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
I'm not sure storing customer information would be legal in the EU
its not nor is it legal in the US atleast not at the level that this software records

Originally Posted by PMaff View Post
"and smartphones from Nokia contain the same snooping software, he claims."
Which other Nokia smartphones are there currently except
N9* ?
since it seems that this is coming from mainly us carriers I would guess e71 from att and tmobile recently had a new nokia available i cant think of the name though.

edit: astound/c7 is the recent tmobile offering

Last edited by Mike Fila; 2011-12-01 at 17:29.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by nephridium View Post
It seems to be a somewhat local thing though, from what I've seen only some US operators were involved in adding the software, which would explain the lack of mainstream media coverage.
I don't know if they installed CarrierIQ or not, but Verizon Wireless in US was candid and told customers that they track their URLs, search terms, location, app and device feature usage, and interest categories. Customers can opt out at www.vzw.com/myprivacy

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
If i would be a company like that I would not try to hide my spyingactivities as that makes it more suspicious...

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I don't know if they installed CarrierIQ or not, but Verizon Wireless in US was candid and told customers that they track their URLs, search terms, location, app and device feature usage, and interest categories. Customers can opt out at www.vzw.com/myprivacy
it wouldnt be as bad if this was all it was doing but it is recording passwords sent over https on a personal wifi connection

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
That's why original finder used sniffer to reveal it. Maybe it's time for porting properly, fully functional wireshark for N900? I know it can be achieved now, but AFAIk it's not full-featured, and require PITA amount of work to set it up.

/Estel
It would be interesting to make a different routing like
N900 <-> other computer <-> internet
and watch the traffic on this "other computer" by wireshark & Co.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PMaff For This Useful Post:
Of course - furthermore, it's even possible to modify some linux routers (WRT54GS/GL etc.), to sniff packets, so no need for additional computer. Still, using this option is beyond my current knowledge, though (wireshark on router with openwrt or tomato, not on another computer )
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
http://tinyurl.com/bmyefc5

Originally Posted by Softpedia
Since initially Eckhart claimed that even Nokia and BlackBerry devices contained the so-called tracking software, Nokia quickly jumped to clean its name, stating that none of their devices has ever contained Carrier’s services.

By taking a look at Google’s latest developments, the Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus and the original Xoom tablet, it was determined that the software is actually installed by carriers and OEMs since it didn’t come directly with the Android operating system.
http://tinyurl.com/7j2gtcr
Originally Posted by Softpedia
Renowned iPhone hacker Chpwn is spreading the word that Apple’s iOS contains references to Carrier IQ as far back as iOS 3.1.3.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IsaacDFP For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
If I was trying to hide some spyware activity, that's exactly what I would do - try and hide it amongst normal activity.
If you were a hacker taking their target seriously, yes - but I think a business like Carrier IQ and/or the carriers themselves expect the users to be stupid and, more importantly, unlike the hacker infiltrating a machine with spyware, a carrier feels like the phone is their turf, where they feel comfortable and secure, so I suspect they mostly assume most would never notice no matter what they did.

Estel, afaik, Wireshark is fully featured (probably a few versions behind tho) on the N900. Honestly though, I'd say someone needs to port Snort, if you want a good use-configurable firewall and intrusion detection (which in turn can throw a fit if you have rules set up to detect unauthorized outbound traffic) thing on the N900. Remind me in two weeks, when winter break starts for me. I should have time then.

I'll try to package up my Monitor Clock for Advanced Clock Plugin this weekend. In the meantime users of Advanced Clock Plugin can download the python file for it directly in a .tar in the Advanced Clock Plugin announcement thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
In the news again:

Legal row over Carrier IQ 'surveillance' app claims

Nokia and Blackberry have officially announced that their handsets do not contain CarrierIQ.

This reminds me of a big row that was kicked up after it was revealed that some ISPs in the UK were using Phorm (a derivative of the most prolific and damaging malware also known as 121Media) without their customer's consent.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London