Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by Lullen View Post
I am currently an android user and from my perspective maemo 5 was more complete and with less bugs then android. So yes I really think that :P
Why are you using Android then?

The Following User Says Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:
Because I did not want to buy a new N900 when I lost my phone a year ago because harmattan was comming in the autumn and now I am still waiting. Once a maemo user it's hard to use anything else

The Following User Says Thank You to Lullen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lullen View Post
Because I did not want to buy a new N900 when I lost my phone a year ago because harmattan was comming in the autumn and now I am still waiting. Once a maemo user it's hard to use anything else
ah ok, i was just curious. When my N900 broke i bought a new one, as you said, hard to use anything else

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
and the zoom +/- is going to be some multi-finger gesture.
Not for the browser. PR 1.3 brought a big improvement for double-tap zooming. And as an iPod touch 2G owner, I can attest that double-tap zooming is near perfection in iOS Safari. Multi-finger gestures are unnecessary 99.9% of the time.

But don't get me wrong, the above is no excuse for not having a stylus. (Did I just use a quadruple negative?)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Simple: all that processing power will affect the battery. Your argument seems to be (and correct me if i'm wrong) give us crazy power to compensate for shoddy coding because Nokia will drop it after the 24 month legal period they need to support it - which is a fine assumption after Maemo 5. But MeeGo isdevelped by multiple sources and companies, not just Nokia, and the N9/50 will receive the future updates, which, one would assume, will iron out the bugs.
Sounds great, except MeeGo community has no access to closed source content like OVI maps, browser and etc. Are you saying LG will support their version of MeeGo on the N950? Unlikely.

Let's stop pretending that commercial MeeGo is the same as community MeeGo, plus do know for a fact that ALL MeeGo binaries will be fully backward compatible onto Harmattan? I mean we sure have A LOT of assumptions here.

Maemo sounded great until Nokia changed their mind. Just because other people will join MeeGo doesn't mean that LG or whoever else is going to fix Nokia's code if / when they decide that it's not worth their time anymore just like Maemo.

Now, i totally agree that it should have great hardware and high RAM etc, but I don't want MeeGo to be an Android situation where, to differentiate from everyone else, the hardware manufacturers can only compete by jacking in more and more specs, so the average ***** thinks 'oh look, a high number, that's better!' with no recourse on, for instance, the battery life.
The difference between Android and MeeGo is that Android you have choices. I don't see too many choices for MeeGo, so what do yous start with? Weak and outdated or current and competitive? Doesn't have to be the absolute fastest on the market but it's got to be competitive.

If battery is a concern, buy an extra and leave your charger in your car / desk / home. What's the big deal? It's not like you live in the Amazon and generate power by water wheel.

The N8 is a bad example but the C7 isn't, it has a modest processor and works smooth and quickly. Maemo 5 out of the box runs very snappy too. Point being it's not all about the processor, but optimisation, as we all know. I, and i think most others, would like it more if MeeGo were built well enough so it could advertise the fact (for teens to understand) that "hey guys, we build our OS so it runs as well as Gingerbread but on a lower processor, meaning you get more battery life" or whatever. One of the biggest gripes about Android is the appalling battery life, jacking it up with a 1.2GHz dual core processor won't help that in any way. As has been said already, fix it at the foundation rather than using this band-aid approach
Look, we're just preparing for version 1.0. We're not talking 2.0 or 3.0 here folks. Here's a newsflash, 1.0 products have problems. BTW, as a corollary to your point, someone in software can also figure out how to optimize battery life and squeeze more out of each GHz.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
Sounds great, except MeeGo community has no access to closed source content like OVI maps, browser and etc. Are you saying LG will support their version of MeeGo on the N950? Unlikely.

Let's stop pretending that commercial MeeGo is the same as community MeeGo, plus do know for a fact that ALL MeeGo binaries will be fully backward compatible onto Harmattan? I mean we sure have A LOT of assumptions here.

Maemo sounded great until Nokia changed their mind. Just because other people will join MeeGo doesn't mean that LG or whoever else is going to fix Nokia's code if / when they decide that it's not worth their time anymore just like Maemo.

The difference between Android and MeeGo is that Android you have choices. I don't see too many choices for MeeGo, so what do yous start with? Weak and outdated or current and competitive? Doesn't have to be the absolute fastest on the market but it's got to be competitive.

If battery is a concern, buy an extra and leave your charger in your car / desk / home. What's the big deal? It's not like you live in the Amazon and generate power by water wheel.

Look, we're just preparing for version 1.0. We're not talking 2.0 or 3.0 here folks. Here's a newsflash, 1.0 products have problems. BTW, as a corollary to your point, someone in software can also figure out how to optimize battery life and squeeze more out of each GHz.
According to zehjotkah, we'll be able to upgrade to full MeeGo if we want to. It won't be a community effort because MeeGo will continue to be developed. Ovi Maps may be an exception, but so what? If we get a decent version of it with turn by turn navigation, not many people will mind sticking with that.
And if you are concerned about Nokia but not MeeGo, get a different hardware manufacturer's one

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by olighak View Post

It was on a released Nokia memo that support for Meego will be through June 2012. Then itīs lights off.
Can someone really confirm this is the case? Link please!?

History of RM-680.
http://nokiagadgets.com/?p=663

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
I really hope the N950 will still run meego. I fear they put WP7 on it and recycled the old N9 design for meego...
If they run WP7 on that phone Elop will burn.

Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
According to zehjotkah, we'll be able to upgrade to full MeeGo if we want to. It won't be a community effort because MeeGo will continue to be developed. Ovi Maps may be an exception, but so what? If we get a decent version of it with turn by turn navigation, not many people will mind sticking with that.
And if you are concerned about Nokia but not MeeGo, get a different hardware manufacturer's one
All fine and dandy but no reason we need to settle for subpar hardware. As for other manufacturers, I've always preferred Nokia hardware / design. My N900 is getting old enough I don't want to wait until the other guys get their act together.

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland