"Dell Releases What n900 Should Have Been (Dell Streak)"

Exactly, and kind of the purpose of my thread here:

Now that Nokia has ditched MeeGo as a smartphone ecosystem, can we have our NIT's back?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Here is another decent 5 inch Android tablet
http://www.ankaka.com/ctab-c5-androi...or_p47883.html
too bad its only RK1228(ARM11) and not RK2919(Arm Cortex A8) and its only Android 2.1. Still it makes a decent 5 inch device.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Here is another decent 5 inch Android tablet
http://www.ankaka.com/ctab-c5-androi...or_p47883.html
too bad its only RK1228(ARM11) and not RK2919(Arm Cortex A8) and its only Android 2.1. Still it makes a decent 5 inch device.
I have no experience of this particular device or manufacturer but i do have experience of similar China low end devices. In my cases a SmartQ.

My problem was one of expectation, I assumed that it would perform in the way that I had come to expect from well known brand names and it doesn't, never has and never will.

So a degree of caution is called for before shelling out the $'s.

Over on The Epic Android thread I mentioned that on long 14 hour journeys I used carry up to 6 devices but now I only carry the Streak. My experience might be a useful subject for a post here.

This was my previous carry list and why the Streak has replaced it:

Mobile Phone
iPhone : Replaced by the Streak

Music Player
iRiver H140 + iBasso amplifier: The Streak sound quality when matched with Sennheiser IE8’s is closely comparable, to the extent that I can’t easily discern the difference. Not so much with RE0’s however.

Video Chat with my family
Nokia N800: The software for the Streak is not yet there for this but the hope is that it will arrive with Honeycomb

eBook Reader
SmartQ 7: The Streak is better both for screen quality and clarity and versatility in apps such as pdf reader Repligo and web page downloaders Instapaper and Read It Later

Video Player
Nokia N800: The Streak is better by way of bigger screen
SmartQ 7: Unsuitable due to lack of optimisation for video

PDA
Sharp Zaurus: Only because it contained data that was useful to have and which I hadn’t taken the time to transfer it over. But now I have. Curiously, the Zaurus apps are generally superior to what is currently available.

iPhone: Incredible selection of apps but thankfully there are now Android equivalents for the Streak so I don’t miss the App Store that much anymore. Android still has room for improvement in this respect but it is no longer the poor relation it once was.
Note Everything, Evernote and HandDBase are exceptionally useful. Office suites such as Documents To Go are quite respectable

SatNav and Maps
Nokia N800: The combination of Google Maps and the 5” Streak makes the N800 look feeble. So, even if the lifetime licence which I paid for was still honoured, I wouldn’t use it anyway.

If anyone is thinking of getting a Streak then these observations might be useful in their decision making.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
Also the 5inch Galaxy Player is being shown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3eieEv61jc
This thing looks excellent and it will hit the US and will probably be in the 250 dollars range. Finally a true inexpensive alternative to the Dell Streak. Of course I'm not going to buy this when it comes out I will wait and see what the new 5 inch Archos generation 9 will be like.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Also the 5inch Galaxy Player is being shown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3eieEv61jc
This thing looks excellent and it will hit the US and will probably be in the 250 dollars range. Finally a true inexpensive alternative to the Dell Streak. Of course I'm not going to buy this when it comes out I will wait and see what the new 5 inch Archos generation 9 will be like.
This is does not seem to have a SIM card so no mobile network 3G Data or phone calls? Which would explain the price.

It seems that it is going to be called WiFi 5.0. There are some demonstrations of it here
http://www.youtube.com/user/Technoph.../2/gsJxFkWDd4k

It is just great to see this screen size form factor being supported.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
This is does not seem to have a SIM card so no mobile network 3G Data or phone calls? Which would explain the price.

It seems that it is going to be called WiFi 5.0. There are some demonstrations of it here

Its meant to be a media player. I personally don't care about 3G I have used wifi only devices.

Originally Posted by Rebski View Post

Many wanted a wifi only dell streak but dell didn't offer it in 5 inch form. This is pretty that. Of course the build quality probably isn't as good as the Dell Streak or Archos 5. It has the same camera from the Galaxy S which is many times better than the one of the Dell Streak.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Many wanted a wifi only dell streak but dell didn't offer it in 5 inch form. This is pretty that. Of course the build quality probably isn't as good as the Dell Streak or Archos 5. It has the same camera from the Galaxy S which is many times better than the one of the Dell Streak.
Without mobile phone capability then it is of little interest to me. I see no point in having to carry two similar screen size devices.

But as you say, "Many wanted a wifi only dell streak" so I guess the answer is to offer a choice as per the Samsung 7" Tab.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
be warned that the existing/older "galaxy player" devices have only a physical similarity to the galaxy S phones - lower res, slower CPU etc.

these new devices look like being much more like an exact copy of the phone without 3g/gsm; ideal for a teenager (such as my daughter) as you can install skype and chat programs etc and rely on wifi!

The Following User Says Thank You to speculatrix For This Useful Post:

Tags
competition, dell, fresh-air, i has it ;), just shoot me, no keyboard, no linux, notnokia, wotnokia?