Originally Posted by mirakels View Post
I think it is just u-boot not properly initialising the twl403 MMC pins. I'm also looking at the linux kernel sources on how mmc is inititialised (e.g. the nokia patches) and it seems linux is doing a lot more stuff than u-boot does (e.g. initialising clocks).
I never see eMMC working on my n900 in u-boot. And now I do not have SD card for testing. (I'm waiting for deliver one 32GB) You are right that eMMC is not power on (mux?, twl4030? voltage?). I spend more than 6 hours finding problem (in u-boot, n900 kernel...), but without success. Now U-Boot migrated to generic mmc driver, see rx51 patch: http://gitorious.org/u-boot-shr/u-bo...380ea422d26689

When using this new generic mmc driver, U-Boot tell me that mmc0 (should be external slot?) has bad voltage (Ok, when card is not inserted?). I tried enable mmc1 (omap_mmc_init(1); should be eMMC), no error shown, initialization OK, but again not working... Also tried mmc2, mmc3, ... but that initialization failed.

U-Boot: Some MUXes are in board/nokia/rx51/rx51.h under section Wireless LAN (why?), GPIO_130 - GPIO_139. And initializing mmc is in drivers/power/twl4030.c function twl4030_power_mmc_init

Originally Posted by mirakels View Post
@pali, did you uplaod the fix for console scrolling somewhere? Thanks!
Not now. I'm rebasing patches again and trying to fix other things...
If I think that new patches could be stable I will push it into gitorious.

Console fix patch is attached.

Last edited by pali; 2011-10-08 at 17:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 197 | Thanked: 101 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
Thanks for the patch Pali. A while ago I defined a 'clr' u-boot command to clear the screen so I could avoid going into the garbled screen mode.
I also spend several evenings trying to figure out how to get the mmcs online
Also tried omap_mmc_init(x) wiht x=0,1,2. Added some twl4030_i2c calls to set voltage to MMC2 and VAUX3 (If I understand it correctly older n900 models need MMC2, newer ones VAUX3 pins). Maybe newer models have wireless ALN on MMC2 now hence the GPIO_130-139 stuff...

I also noticed that twl403_power_mmc_init() is called by uboot but twl4030_power_init() is not. I added this function bit it did not help either...

One other thing. I defined a u-boot backlight command to set the backlight level of the screen. Other the n900 starts up with a very dim screen. Using this command I can get a readable screen again. For now it is just a hack.

I use generic_mmc too as I rebased on the latest denx master. apperantly the mmc naming scheme is changed by that. when I have an available mmc its is mmc1 and that indeed is the eMMC (so these times I was able to boot android as I installed nitdroid (and kernel and initramfs) on eMMC partition 5).

backlight support is good. I looked into U-Boot but it does not have any brightness/backlight interface. So setting initial level should be in misc_init_r (rx51.c) Can you create patch for that? I will include it into my patch series (for gitorious)

Now I got eMMC working I will try to find which function it activated and create clean patch

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 101 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
i'll make the patches available.

About the fixed console scrolling. I also tried this way before but it did not work for me then. But surely

for ( i = 1; i < CONSOLE_COLS; ++i )

cant be correct. Although it results in proper screens, I see collorerd garbage on the last line while scrolling.
I guess it should be

for ( i = 1; i < CONSOLE_ROWS; ++i )

but when I try that the garbage stays. Very weird.
With some experiments I figured

for ( i = 1; i < 4*CONSOLE_ROWS; ++i )

seems to work fine, with the collored garbage on the last line...
I am puzzeled while. Is the framebuffer bigger than anicipate. Does the n900 use double buffering????

Here are patches which enable eMMC support (working on my n900, hw revision 2101).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Originally Posted by pali View Post
I never see eMMC working on my n900 in u-boot.
On Matan's version eMMC works (with "mmc init 2") but only if Maemo has been booted before entering on u-boot's console.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
On Matan's version eMMC works (with "mmc init 2") but only if Maemo has been booted before entering on u-boot's console.
matan version is based on old u-boot code... see my patches which fix emmc support

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Originally Posted by pali View Post
Here are patches which enable eMMC support (working on my n900, hw revision 2101).
Good to hear!

News on power consumption problem ?

No, first I'm trying to make working version of u-boot...