Active Topics

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Just sometimes I wish GNU people would look realistically at the world -- while I'm a big supporter of open source myself, the behaviour of some parts of the open source community reminds me a little too much of the the Butlerian Jihad from the Dune series..
lol, im all for advancement of technology, not to destroy all computers, but this is not advancement as this device performs slightly better than my n900(maybe 10-20% ...) and that wouldnt be the case if they did a proper job like rhombus tech hopefully will...

btw, ainol novo 7 advanced is allwinner a10 and is gpl compliant so stop with the b.u.l.l.s.h.i.t

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-02-19 at 09:48.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Just sometimes I wish GNU people would look realistically at the world -- while I'm a big supporter of open source myself, the behaviour of some parts of the open source community reminds me a little too much of the the Butlerian Jihad from the Dune series.
Oh pleeeze don't make this a Free Software vs. Open Source battleground (which it isn't). I consider myself what you'd probably call a "GNU person". I make a clear distinction between them (the open source pragmatics) an us (the free software ideologists), and I certainly wouldn't consider myself a "part of the open source community".

But: I'm certain that all this has nothing to do whith GrimyHR's campaign against the Spark. It's just one single person having a bad hair month, not "the GNU people" not looking "realistically at the world".

Having said that:
I don't accept the world! - but I'll buy the Spark!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Oh pleeeze don't make this a Free Software vs. Open Source battleground (which it isn't). I consider myself what you'd probably call a "GNU person". I make a clear distinction between them (the open source pragmatics) an us (the free software ideologists), and I certainly wouldn't consider myself a "part of the open source community".

But: I'm certain that all this has nothing to do whith GrimyHR's campaign against the Spark. It's just one single person having a bad hair month, not "the GNU people" not looking "realistically at the world".

Having said that:
I don't accept the world! - but I'll buy the Spark!
not a bad hair day, but just disappointed by their poor choice when it could have been much better, i really want something similar to this badly to at least partially replace my n900, but as this is just barely more powerful than n900 im just sad and annoyed

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-02-19 at 21:41.

GrimyHR, if we're talking about annoyance, I'm annoyed that you keep to spam this thread with useless whining about "alternative", without commenting on meritocratic arguments by Stskeeps:

1) Tablets with allwinner has exact same problem as zenithink, there has only been leaks of drivers for the tablets, not any official releases. Most efforts take the approach of using the released allwinner sources from allwinner directly.

2) Allwinner does not provide downloadable GLES drivers and other support like amlogic does on http://openlinux.amlogic.com/

3) Allwinner devices require a Windows(!) closed source flasher to flash the devices, http://elinux.org/Hack_A10_devices
I would really like to see proper technical comment on this, as otherwise, all You've written so far is just useless hoax + negative campaign against people that.actually *do* something, instead of sitting still and splitting post after post, with same content.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
actually i have given an example of an allwinner a10 based tablet that is sold by manufacturer as an gpl compliant device (ainol novo 7 advanced)
so the people who are buying it are not endorsing gpl violating manufacturers like with buying this tablet(even thou it will not arive as a gpl violator to the end user, the gpl violating bastard of a manufacturer still gets his money and everyone who buys this endorses gpl violation, just not directly) plus its much faster and cheaper, supports up to 1gb of ddr3("spark" is 512MB ddr2 as that soc cant handle anything more) so i would like anyone who thinks I am wrong and they are right to justify their choice or i have every intention of continuing my rants

rhombus-tech has explained everything technical why this is the chinese SoC to choose so click on the sources i provided

P.S. even though I consider those things i mention above relevant and valid, the biggest grudge i have against it is that this device is not in any way better than n900, you get a bit more eam and you loose your keyboard, performance wise they are almost the same, and n900 is 3 years old tech...i want this...on another hardware...and until i get it i will b.i.t.c.h about it

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-02-29 at 09:12.

It still doesn't answer how someone could avoid showstoppers mentioned by Stskeeps (and in "our" case, they're real showstoppers). It doesn't matter how much better/faster/sexy is allwinner - it's just not an option, due to mentioned roadblocks.

As for Your other arguments, You've already stated them 4322 times While I agree with some "whining" about low amount of memory etc, I still don't see any reason why You're repeating it over and over. It won't make more people agree with your opinion. IMO, it only rises a chance, that more people will add You to ignore list.
---

Anyway, spark was mentioned today in Polish Radio Program 3 (public radio station, here in Poland) - I was really shocked! Whatever we may "have against" Spark, it's fair to mention, that they've received unbelievable media attention, for such a project.

This makes me even more sad, that GPL-violating manufacturer is in supply chain, but I can only hope, that it will open opportunities for more and more Open devices in future.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

i also hope that all this pomp will result with a better gnu/linux device with an actually fair price for what it offers, im just tired of waiting, just because i want an open and desktop like experience in my pocket does not mean that i should be satisfied with anything...

what are those showstopers and how come they dont exist for rhombus-tech? :S im not joking i actually dont see roadblocks you are mentioning so please explain

If You're sure, that:

1) Tablets with allwinner has exact same problem as zenithink, there has only been leaks of drivers for the tablets, not any official releases. Most efforts take the approach of using the released allwinner sources from allwinner directly.
...isn't the case (to which I'm not fully convinced by Your arguments), there still remain:

2) Allwinner does not provide downloadable GLES drivers and other support like amlogic does on http://openlinux.amlogic.com/

3) Allwinner devices require a Windows(!) closed source flasher to flash the devices, http://elinux.org/Hack_A10_devices
It doesn't matter that it work with default implementation - without downloadable drivers and "other support", we can't implement this in Open OS of our choose. +, the windows closed source flasher is pure joke, sic.

Of course, I'm not hardware implementation expert, so I may be wrong in some/all statements.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
If You're sure, that:

...isn't the case (to which I'm not fully convinced by Your arguments), there still remain:

It doesn't matter that it work with default implementation - without downloadable drivers and "other support", we can't implement this in Open OS of our choose. +, the windows closed source flasher is pure joke, sic.

Of course, I'm not hardware implementation expert, so I may be wrong in some/all statements.

/Estel
mali 400 proprietary binary should be the same :S
and there is lima if not

what other support? is this a joke?

and for the first point ainol has released source for atleast novo7 advanced, so there is at least one device that is gpl compliant (althou i would like novo7 elf with gnu/linux, better resolution, 1gb ddr3)

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Sorry if I am off with this. I haven't been keeping up. But I just saw this on Linux Today:

http://aseigo.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04...arly-here.html

I came here to see if there was any talk about it but could not find it. So, is the Spark now called Vivialdi, or is it a different device? Is any one here buying it? I think I may be interested.

Edit:

Ah, OK, I found some info. First I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1N1_-RHvTY

As instructed I went here:

http://opentablets.org/

There I found the answer to the name question:

http://opentablets.org/page/index.ht...he-vivaldi-r14

In essence:
"due to some trademark issues, is now known as the Vivaldi

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Last edited by rm42; 2012-04-30 at 15:39.