Active Topics

Interesting new tablet out there. It comes loaded with Android 4 Cyanogenmod 9. Nothing to special about that but the manufacturer is tossing Ubuntu on it as well.
They will (or do) make all the source open (or as much is possible).
Seems really promising to me.

Zatab

Specs:

Pure Android
Allwinner A10 SoC
9.7" IPS 1024x768 display
5 point capacitive touchscreen
16 GB internal storage + microSD for additional storage
1 GB RAM
WiFi (802.11 b/g/n)
Front and Back cameras
Sturdy metal back
High-capacity 8000 mAh battery
9 hours battery life playing 3D games
14 hours battery life watching videos
Ultra-light 630 grams

Ports:
Headphone
microSD card slot
microHDMI video out
2x microUSB ports
Package includes:

Tablet
AC Adapter
USB Cable
User Manual
Source Code

ZaReason seems to be a really cool company.

Oh and the tablet will set you back $350 (USD) when it ships soon.

Last edited by zappa; 2012-05-18 at 15:41.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zappa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
so basically ubuntu costs more than windows 7 ultimate in this setup...nice

this is ******ed, there are atom powered x86 tablets for 400$ out there and that is a much better option with this price tag, this guys are not realistic at all

Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
so basically ubuntu costs more than windows 7 ultimate in this setup...nice

this is ******ed, there are atom powered x86 tablets for 400$ out there and that is a much better option with this price tag, this guys are not realistic at all
Maybe I suck at the internet. I'm having a hard time finding these much better options you speak of. Feel free to link some.

Cheapest price I can find on Win7 Ultimate ( from a well know reputable retailer) is bout $200. I can find a similarly (maybe exact same) specced tablet for about $250. So it'd cost me an extra hundred bucks to get Linux on a tablet, and support from a US based company (personally works for me as I am in the US). I also get the satisfaction of supporting a company that is interested in Linux.

I also only found one (although im sure there are probably a few more chinese ones) x86 tablet (Archos) for less than $400. You can have your Win7 on atom cpu. I dunno if the thing even has drivers for Linux.

I'm really looking forward to Intels next mobile x86 chipset but the "current" atom line is unimpressive.

But hey don't let me stop you from handing your money over to Microsoft. I'm sure a good portion of it goes to their new open source division.

Originally Posted by zappa View Post
Maybe I suck at the internet. I'm having a hard time finding these much better options you speak of. Feel free to link some.

Cheapest price I can find on Win7 Ultimate ( from a well know reputable retailer) is bout $200. I can find a similarly (maybe exact same) specced tablet for about $250. So it'd cost me an extra hundred bucks to get Linux on a tablet, and support from a US based company (personally works for me as I am in the US). I also get the satisfaction of supporting a company that is interested in Linux.

I also only found one (although im sure there are probably a few more chinese ones) x86 tablet (Archos) for less than $400. You can have your Win7 on atom cpu. I dunno if the thing even has drivers for Linux.

I'm really looking forward to Intels next mobile x86 chipset but the "current" atom line is unimpressive.

But hey don't let me stop you from handing your money over to Microsoft. I'm sure a good portion of it goes to their new open source division.
for 350$ i can buy this
http://www.pandawill.com/acelead-tab...ck-p52459.html
and put regular ubuntu that is actually going to be updated on it (and unlike on arm i can even run applications using wine)
and current atom is a piece of crap, but is better than any arm for real life use

thing should be done right or not done at all

and yes, w7 ultimate costs 200+$
this tablet costs around 100-120$ and 350-120= more than 200$

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-05-18 at 19:22.

for 350$ i can buy this
and put regular ubuntu that is actually going to be updated on it (and unlike on arm i can even run applications using wine)
and current atom is a piece of crap, but is better than any arm for real life use
Are you sure you can load linux up on this thing? Just cause its x86 doesn't mean you break out Unetbootin and Ubuntu is gonna magically work on it.

Originally Posted by zappa View Post
Are you sure you can load linux up on this thing? Just cause its x86 doesn't mean you break out Unetbootin and Ubuntu is gonna magically work on it.
only problem could be touch screen, but most likely everything would work
if nothing i can run it in VM inside windows, it will still run better than on this...oh and have a future

plus im sure that tablet for around 400$ that would run ubuntu can be found just if someone bothers, this was the first one that i found and there are dozens if not hundreds chinese x86 tablets...

Thanks for your opinion grimy!

The atom pad is almost 2 times the weight of the arm tablet.

It's got a bigger battery but probably lasts half the time, but as the allwinner arm just sips its power well.. maybe a quarter of the time, not specified.

It all depends on what you want to use such a device for.

I have a quad core on my desktop, thats quite a bit faster than the atom or the arm. Wouldnt want it in such a portable device though.

Then again weight and battery life may not be important to some.

And two touch multitouch atom... Thats just barely multitouch But it IS running windows so it doesnt matter

Well good luck finding a great deal, i'm betting on the chinese for the innovation on this one.

The Following User Says Thank You to slavko321 For This Useful Post:
for 350$ i can buy this

thing should be done right or not done at all

and yes, w7 ultimate costs 200+$
this tablet costs around 100-120$ and 350-120= more than 200$
1. the Zatab weighs 1.4 lbs, the atom device you list weighs 2lbs. For me, even 1.5lb tablets I own(ipad, HP touchpad) are a bit on the heavy side, I don't think I would want 2 lb

2. The battery life on the Zatab is 14 hours, battery life isn't listed on the atom device, but a unlikley best scenario to be 7hrs, and could be quite worse than that.

3. It doesn't list what video chipset it uses, but most of the atom tablets use the Poulsbo chipset, which is somewhat problematic in linux,

4. The Zatab has a 5 point multi-touch, the atom you list has two point multi touch

5. The Zatab has an IPS panel, the atom you list does not

6. The Zatab has a microsd slot, the atom does not.

7. The atom comes with Windows 7 Home Basic, which since this is a chinese seller, this is the one Windows edition that has an emerging market price, I'm guessing it costs them less than $20

Last edited by pataphysician; 2012-05-18 at 21:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to pataphysician For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pataphysician View Post
1. the Zatab weighs 1.4 lbs, the atom device you list weighs 2lbs. For me, even 1.5lb tablets I own(ipad, HP touchpad) are a bit on the heavy side, I don't think I would want 2 lb

2. The battery life on the Zatab is 14 hours, battery life isn't listed on the atom device, but a unlikley best scenario to be 7hrs, and could be quite worse than that.

3. It doesn't list what video chipset it uses, but most of the atom tablets use the Poulsbo chipset, which is somewhat problematic in linux,

4. The Zatab has a 5 point multi-touch, the atom you list has two point multi touch

5. The Zatab has an IPS panel, the atom you list does not

6. The Zatab has a microsd slot, the atom does not.

7. The atom comes with Windows 7 Home Basic, which since this is a chinese seller, this is the one Windows edition that has an emerging market price, I'm guessing it costs them less than $20
1. zatab will probably never get updated or have a decent community to update it, x86 will have constant updates same as the desktop version
2. zatab wont run x86 linux applications, not to mention the possibility of running wine
3. it costs 350$ for what is basically a cheap *** chinese tablet that is not worth more than 100$
4. on x86 you can probably run most distros, on zatab you are stuck with what you get
5. for everyone outside US the price will probably be at least 50$ more(not including customs and taxes in that)

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-05-18 at 23:39.

1. zatab will probably never get updated or have a decent community to update it, x86 will have constant updates same as the desktop version
2. zatab wont run x86 linux applications, not to mention the possibility of running wine
3. it costs 350$ for what is basically a cheap *** chinese tablet that is not worth more than 100$
4. on x86 you can probably run most distros, on zatab you are stuck with what you get
5. for everyone outside US the price will probably be at least 50$ more(not including customs and taxes in that)
1. Who knows what type of community it will have? You can always get the latest community android image.
2. My n900 doesn't run x86 apps and that somehow didn't ruin the experience. Most any app can be easily recompiled for ARM. The issue is OpenGL.
3. How is it a cheap chinese tablet but the one you linked isn't? Please show me tablets with the same specs that you can get for $100.
4. Like I said before just because a computer is x86 doesn't mean its magically going to run Linux.
5. Since these guys are releasing the source, there is nothing stopping you from getting the same hardware straight from China at a cheaper rate and using it. Who wants to support people like this?