Active Topics

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
They've also changed the device they're using from the C71 to the C71+:
(Taken from http://opentablets.org/ )
Perhaps more importantly, Aaron confirmed that the hardware will be the 1GB version of the C71 (what we have been calling the C71+). There are several other small differences between the earlier version of the C71 and the C71+ - the largest being the mainboard. On the C71, it is an AMLogic Meson board, which has had kernel source available for some time. On the C71+, it is the Meson3, for which the kernel source was released just a few days ago. For you early adopters, we are working hard to get you a working kernel for the C71+. (See this thread to keep up with progress.)
The other major difference we have seen is the choice of wifi module. Unfortunately, we don't have any further information on this yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
I wouldn't mind paying a bit of a premium for the sake of having a more open device. Especially one built with Qt and Linux at the core.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Plasma active on the top of MER wowww!! this gonna rock. it is shame the hardware is so bad and the price is high for that hardware.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by -Tyler- View Post
Plasma active on the top of MER wowww!! this gonna rock. it is shame the hardware is so bad and the price is high for that hardware.
It's still the best and cheapest mer based tablet i can buy.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by -Tyler- View Post
The price is not for the hardware alone, and since it is open source, you can import one from China and install it yourself if you didn't want to support the project

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
The price is not for the hardware alone, and since it is open source, you can import one from China and install it yourself if you didn't want to support the project
but i want to support the project. I still think the hardware is bad and is overpriced but i think that too of the N9 and still i have one. If i want a linux tablet device there is no other option, so i will bye it for sure even if the price was higher,

wow, 1GB of RAM, finally? It's going more and more interesting everyday.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
does this tablet have EC declaration of conformity?
glad they deceided for a better soc, much better gpu performance in this one(1400 compared to 400 on old one in quadrant 3d test) and this one supports and uses ddr3, finaly decent job from amlogic

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-05-01 at 08:15.

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2011 @ /dev/ttyS0
So they're still going with the WM-294 wifi board? Man, I'm tired of new products using the archaic 2.4ghz spectrum. I wish that range was never part of 802.11n as 2.4ghz is virtually useless where I live. I'm not sure of the cost difference, but the WL-6210-V4 looks much better. It has 2x2 MIMO for 300mbs (instead of 1x1 MIMO for 150mbs) and is dual band for support of 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

So they're still using the A10 SoC (1.5GHz Cortex A8 + Mali400-4core), but increased it from single-channel ddr2 512MB RAM to a dual-512MB ddr3 RAM.

That would definitely increase the overall performance, and give room for multitasking. I can see some "heavier" OS's like Ubuntu potentially working decently on it.

The only problems I can see is the limited nand capacity, poor wifi chip and unused space inside (put in a larger battery?). Well if it ships most of the pre-orders within 3 months at this rate....I can certainly see it as successful.
Especially if they decide on a version2 with something even more spacious/comfortable like 2GB RAM, 64GB NAND, and something like an OMAP4430.

I'm flattered