Active Topics

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
The only problems I can see is the limited nand capacity, poor wifi chip and unused space inside (put in a larger battery?).
Unused space inside isn't a problem, it's modder heaven. As for WiFi, I doubt that anything will change here, but as it's soldered to USB interface (sic!), one can - probably - easily de-solder it and put something else, or even solder normal port there.

Well, you can't satisfy everyone - for example, I would kick out this damn useless capacitive screen and replace it with decent resistive one, properly detecting pressure... I think that for "desktop" OS'es, unusable high detection zone (even using so-called ''capacitive styluses'') is going to be biggest problem. Try hitting this "small X" on goddamn capacitive...

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Unused space inside isn't a problem, it's modder heaven. As for WiFi, I doubt that anything will change here, but as it's soldered to USB interface (sic!), one can - probably - easily de-solder it and put something else, or even solder normal port there.

Well, you can't satisfy everyone - for example, I would kick out this damn useless capacitive screen and replace it with decent resistive one, properly detecting pressure... I think that for "desktop" OS'es, unusable high detection zone (even using so-called ''capacitive styluses'') is going to be biggest problem. Try hitting this "small X" on goddamn capacitive...

/Estel
That would be a problem for the inevitable Ubuntu port....not so for ActivePlasma or Customized KDE GUI. I commend them for going with Capacitive, to show the world what individuals can do when thay have plenty of beer money, time and boredom !!

I'm flattered

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia

/Estel
dont know if something like this would be useable:
http://www.priceangels.com/Smart-Wir...3--s42539.html

but i agree, they should have used a high quality resistive screen, this tablet is for "enthusiasts", and what if someone wants to put gentoo or some other distro on it, chinese tablets often use 2 point multitouch resistive screens so even the multitouch supporters wouldnt have anything to rant about

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I commend them for going with Capacitive, to show the world what individuals can do when thay have plenty of beer money, time and boredom !!
Hey, wasting money without any meritocratic reason is reserved for iPhone We want things that actually works good, not shiny gadgets...

Although, I agree that it would be probably hard to find device with good performance parts + good price + resistive screen + (most important) available kernel.

So, I'm not complaining - I hope using existing, Chinese device is just first step, to have something fully working in good amount of time.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-05-02 at 17:24.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
does this tablet have EC declaration of conformity?
glad they deceided for a better soc, much better gpu performance in this one(1400 compared to 400 on old one in quadrant 3d test) and this one supports and uses ddr3, finaly decent job from amlogic
I have a C71 and it has no EC/FCC/any other kind of official markings. It doesn't even have a brand name on the box. The tablet shown on the box isn't even the C71. It is totally chinese generic tablet style. Maybe KDE guys will make it all official for theirs, though...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
There are other forums with discussions about the wifi upgrade. For example one person's mod to add a laptop antenna:

On my C71 the wifi performance is horrible. It is often "no signal" unless I'm within about 3 meters of my access point. Even then the speed is extremely slow.

Other problem is an apparent lack of internal shielding around the backside of the screen, the touchscreen actually detects touches from the back side of the case! Supposedly you can insert something such as paper between the screen and the motherboard to prevent this. The touchscreen is very flaky, especially when the device gets hot.

Screen picture quality is just OK. The viewing angles are really bad. If you look directly at the screen it's not bad. Games using accelerometer are difficult because you can't see the screen if it's tilted...

Front camera is basically useless. It is awful.

Battery life is not great (Maybe 2 hours of non-idle use, charging is not very fast). The device gets very hot if you play games or something intensive like that, too hot to hold sometimes. Zenithink has clocked the CPU to 800MHz max (despite claiming it as 1GHz) and supposedly there is no heat sink on it at all. Overclocking with custom kernels is of course possible, if you want more heat and less runtime.

BTW you can get a fake leather case with a hardware keyboard that fits C71 perfectly, and it's cheap:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130689353589
I have one and it is quite possibly the worst keyboard I've ever used in my life, but it is better than using an on-screen keyboard, in most cases.

Overall, I'd say it's just kind of "meh". I bought it for around USD$80 last year from Hong Kong. For that price I'm okay with it because I don't expect a miracle. I don't use it for anything serious, just a playground to experiment with Android and play games without needing to reboot my N900.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
They're using C71+ with different WiFi module - i hope that it's better, not worse

As for build quality - thanks a lot for detailed info. Just keep in mind, that C71 (and C71+) is generic name for tablet with similar hardware, yet manufactured by countless factories in China. build quality (and "peripherals" like screen, case, etc) vary *a lot* between factories.

I'm not trying to defend Vivaldi here - I have no idea how their's build quality is looking. I can just hope, that they've chosen better one.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
I have a C71 and it has no EC/FCC/any other kind of official markings. It doesn't even have a brand name on the box. The tablet shown on the box isn't even the C71. It is totally chinese generic tablet style. Maybe KDE guys will make it all official for theirs, though...
if it wont have certificate i wont be able to import it, whats ironic is that my country isnt in the EU but demands a certificate that it can be imported in EU which is not needed in EU for personal use

The Following User Says Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
They're using C71+ with different WiFi module - i hope that it's better, not worse

As for build quality - thanks a lot for detailed info. Just keep in mind, that C71 (and C71+) is generic name for tablet with similar hardware, yet manufactured by countless factories in China. build quality (and "peripherals" like screen, case, etc) vary *a lot* between factories.

I'm not trying to defend Vivaldi here - I have no idea how their's build quality is looking. I can just hope, that they've chosen better one.

/Estel
If they pick a weak platform for the first effort, it may forever color the project. As such i expect them to have put in some effort before choosing a device to offer.

It's funny - here in Poland, CE is purely "declarative" certificate, i.e. producer can mark goods as CE without any "compliance tests", but marking something as CE mean that issuer held responsibility, if device turns out to be dangerous even if used properly, etc.

Are You sure it is so strict in Your country? BTW, can't You just get it as "private" gift?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-