Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Get an iphone. It works simply

There. Fixed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olympus For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by olympus View Post
May I do it this time? Pleeeease?

There. Fixed.
Thats why he is so DESPERATE to get his hands on the N9 hahahaha good one.

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
anyone out there with N9 on their hands???????? where is it??? where are the hot swedish girls wielding their N9s

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I do so because the dismal future of Meego-Harmattan (and to a lesser extent Symbian) appears to be a direct result of the decision to adopt Windoze Phone as the primary platform.

If your saying that it doesn't matter whether a device runs Symbian, S40 or Meego-Harmattan, then I can sympathise with that, although I have found targeting Symbian to be a massive pain in the arse when it comes to multimedia. I'm not convinced that Nokia will be able to make it painless to target Meego-Harmattan, Symbian and S40. With Nokia, it's always 'coming soon' or 'in the next SDK update'. Of course, when the update arrives, it's a beta, so you have to wait another six months for the stable release before you can use it to target the Ovi Store.

I know it takes time, and I appreciate that Qt on Symbian is still immature. But that's my point. I'm doubtful that it will get to a mature stage before Symbian is phased out. As for S40, who knows?
Do you think Nokia will thow away their Harmattan API's?

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
anyone out there with N9 on their hands???????? where is it??? where are the hot swedish girls wielding their N9s
Had a hands-on yesterday. I can tell you that it was what I expected. Had to place an order for a cyan one

Really nice and smooth UX. Byebye android.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbin For This Useful Post:
rofles

so much for updates from nokia

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Nokia China N9 pre-order page
http://www.nokia.com.cn/find-products/happenings/yuding

and from
http://www.penn-olson.com/2011/09/16/nokia-n9-china/

"From September 16 to October 14, Nokia fans can log into Nokia’s official website, or go to an authorized Nokia vendor, and pre-order an N9. You can choose three colours: black, magenta, or blue. At the same time, Nokia will draw 100 names from the reservation list to win one of 100 N9s as a prize."

I'm in agreement with bbin ^ bye bye android.
But I got to have flash and I got to have bookmarks in the browser. And I don't see why they can't have tabs like the way dolphin browser handles it on Android.

Last edited by aironeous; 2011-09-21 at 14:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Y3P...&feature=share

I know WTF was that?
He didn't really answer the question at all.
Sheezus....
And WTF was he going on about WRT "a small group of obsessed people".
Man Marko, I thought you were one of the "good guys".
I think Marko Ahtisaari is answering this question from an end-user perspective, not a developer one.
Also you are not using an exact quote. There is a difference between "obsessed people", and "people obsessed with ...".

From an end-user perceptive he may be right that the user experience is much more important than "the plumbing".
And if Nokia is using this Swipe concept in their series 40 phones, it will live on in some ways. Also a LOT of the MeeGo swipe interface concepts also seem to be used in the Metro UI in Windows 8, so some of the user experience may also live on in Windows.
But of course Nokia is not in control of the Windows UX (for windows Phone or Windows 8), and the marketing talk about Series 40, Qt and the "next billion" smartphone users is just that: Marketing talk.

What form that market for the "next billion" smartphone users will take on is totally not clear, as are the possibilities to make money with applications in that market. Will it be Nokia Series 40 phones with swipe UI's and a large ecosystem with Qt applications? Maybe, But I don't see anything like that happening just yet. (But I have been known to be wrong on many occasions)

Also user interfaces based on swipe concepts may look nice, but they haven't proven themselves yet. iOS has only a few swipe concepts, WebOS took it a lot further as does MeeGo and Windows 8. The problem is that swipe interface mechanics are hidden features, something that goes totally against the GUI ideas of the desktop computers. It requires some learning, and isn't always easily discovered when "exploring".
You see that in WebOS, that has a tutorial when you first start the device. Maybe in 10 ten years we look at that tutorial the same way as we do now with the mouse tutorial in Windows 3.1, who knows.

I'm very interested in these swipe UI concepts and hope they really do work well, but seeing is believing, and I haven't used MeeGo or Windows 8 yet. I do have a Palm Pre 2 at work, but those swipe concepts haven't blown my mind or something (it's "ok" in my opinion).
Will swipe UX continue in future devices? I think even that remains to be seen.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post

... although I have found targeting Symbian to be a massive pain in the arse when it comes to multimedia. I'm not convinced that Nokia will be able to make it painless to target Meego-Harmattan, Symbian and S40. With Nokia, it's always 'coming soon' or 'in the next SDK update'. Of course, when the update arrives, it's a beta, so you have to wait another six months for the stable release before you can use it to target the Ovi Store.

I know it takes time, and I appreciate that Qt on Symbian is still immature. But that's my point. I'm doubtful that it will get to a mature stage before Symbian is phased out. As for S40, who knows?
I can SOOO relate to this. Trying to make a C++ game run correctly on Symbian using some Qt wrappers to make interacting with OpenGL and sound easier, isn't that "easy" at all.
OpenGL support for Symbian was only added at the beginning off this year, Qt timers are also not particularly well suited for games, the standard C++ library for Symbian had some very nasty bugs that were only fixed since Symbian Anne, and the OpenGL hardware on Symbian phones is a big pain because of a lack of video memory (should be fixed in the next batch of Symbian phones: Nokia 701).
All that also does not convince me Nokia can roll out Qt successfully for series 40 in the near future.

To be fair, Nokia acquired Qt only 3 years ago. Software development takes time, and throwing more people at the problem, doesn't always speed up the process.
By comparison Google bought Android 6 years ago, a lot more time to turn the acquisition into something useful.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????