Sadly I just found out about the n900 recently. I have been looking at getting one, but now am at a kind of crossroads because of tmobile being purchased by ATT. So my question for everyone is should I wait for the meego device or get a n900 even though ATT does not support it with 3G? If I am wrong don't hesitate to correct me. Thanks?

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Maemo is a more mature OS. I would get it now. Nothing will change at T-mobile for another year or two

Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Maemo is a more mature OS. I would get it now. Nothing will change at T-mobile for another year or two
Totally agree . Eventhough I do not like AT&T to purchase T-Mobile, but I will not stop to buy handset on T-Mobile AWS Frequency (for my wife) the Integration after the "Approval" will not happen in 1-2 months. So I will not be too worry about that.

Beside, N900 will still work with the "edge" on AT&T and the Wifi. So Why worry too much. Hopefully in the next 1.5 - 2 years, there is another phone worthy to upgrade.

hopefully they won't cancel my 4.99 unlimited data plan

So, if AT&T buys TMobile, will they take TMobile 3g frequency band too?

I currently have AT&T and kept it b/c of my plan....EDGE is SLOW....so hoping I could just get a new SIM card from AT&T once merger is done to access the 3g frequency w/ the N900????

Does this seem feasible?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by jmt4m View Post
So, if AT&T buys TMobile, will they take TMobile 3g frequency band too?

I currently have AT&T and kept it b/c of my plan....EDGE is SLOW....so hoping I could just get a new SIM card from AT&T once merger is done to access the 3g frequency w/ the N900????
AT&T plans to repurpose T-Mobile's 3G band for LTE. Once that happens, the N900 and all other GSM phones that do not support AT&T's 3G band will forevermore be EDGE-only within the US.

AT&T has stated that they will repurpose TMobile's current 3G frequency for future 4G. So the N900 will eventually be EDGE only in the US.

EDIT: wow great minds posting at the exact same time....

dammit...well that freaking sucks. That's the only reason why i'd want to get away from the N900, is the crippled Internet....

I was so happy too the other day....thinking the network would just be subsumed....

Originally Posted by tirtawn View Post
Totally agree . Eventhough I do not like AT&T to purchase T-Mobile, but I will not stop to buy handset on T-Mobile AWS Frequency (for my wife) the Integration after the "Approval" will not happen in 1-2 months. So I will not be too worry about that.

Beside, N900 will still work with the "edge" on AT&T and the Wifi. So Why worry too much. Hopefully in the next 1.5 - 2 years, there is another phone worthy to upgrade.
It's been said that it will be about 12 months just for the main deal to go through. It's a huge transaction. I personally think that it's dumb for ATT to make everyone w/ a 3G phone not compatible with they're network upgrade. They already have (at least perceived) terrible coverage.

However, in regards to the N900, I actually just bought one. I got it last week and yesterday, called T-Mobile to get a plan (I am on Verizon currently). I am on a month-to-month with them now, I was kind of wanting to sign a contract to try to get grandfathered in under an "unlimited" data plan with T-Mobile. But at the same time, one of the main reasons for committing to a contract is subsidized phone pricing.

*side note: LOVING the N900. Don't even have cellular service yet, just wifi, and I use it all of the time. It's rare that I'd spend that much on a device I'd never even seen IRL, it is amazing, finding more stuff I love on it as I mess around with it!

Can someone please explain why the N900 won't support the 4G on the T-Mobile 3G frequency? Is it simply a speed restriction on the N900's part? Maybe my line of thinking is incorrect, but if T-Mobiles 3G frequency (compatible with N900) is turned into 4G, shouldn't it be compatible with the N900?