Active Topics

Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Surely that would be a MuPhone or a μPhone. u != μ, I don't know who suddenly decided otherwise but it seems to be a recent phenomenon that people have cottoned onto.

Agreed. Canonical have invested a lot of money in Linux but due to their stupidity it's practically all been wasted. They're always reinventing the wheel with their NIH philosophy and conversely no one wants to contribute to or endorse their projects because they insist on slapping the CLA on every one of them. Then there's the whole libhybris shenanigans where they initially worked behind closed doors instead of collaborating with Stskeeps and then failed to give credit when they finally announced their product making it look like it was their own invention.

[/RANT]
also mir, i mean what the **** was wrong with wayland?

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
also mir, i mean what the **** was wrong with wayland?
That was implied when I mentioned them "reinventing the wheel with their NIH philosophy". The Mir announcement was a complete joke the way they tried to discredit Wayland by making inaccurate statements about it. They cut a lot of ties with the rest of the Linux community that day. They later retracted those inaccurate statements but I'm still yet to hear a valid reason for Mir's existence that explains why they believe their required functionality can't be implemented in Wayland.

...and whatever happened to Mir being shipped by default in Ubuntu 14.04? As far as I'm aware, it's still not ready!

They dropped upstart in favour of the piece of shite that is systemd. Why do they insist on continuing with Mir?

[/RANT2]

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Should we also mention here that from Ubuntu 14.04 Canonical has begun to *hardcode* the window buttons position to the left side in their Unity interface?

And you want such a company make your personal mobile device?

The Following User Says Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
u != μ
Of course not, but it is close enough if all you have is 7-bit ASCII. As was the case for many years. And even now it is quite difficult to find the μ symbol. On my N900, it is just about doable, with some effort. On my Jolla, I would not even try.

Back on the topic, I am grateful to Ubuntu for luring me into the Linux world back in the day, after a few unsuccessful attempts with SuSE, Slackware, Mandrake and a few others. Unfortunately, over the years, I had become increasingly disillusioned with them and eventually ditched Ubuntu altogether. A phone that does not even multitask is not going to change that.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I think ubuntu will be needed in the mobile world. To me ubuntu and Jolla could help eachother even if they live in their own bubbles help and trigger sales. I think the ubuntu name have more pull than sailfish or tizen. Sailfish is too basic for proper usage and ubuntu has not even reached end-users. But if they pull together against android and ios they can grow faster then if they and their fanboys digs in in their respective fox holes.love change. Love innovation and main driver for that is options.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-01-29 at 16:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Thaodan View Post
I would never buy one hate their CLA and their politics.
Conjugated Linoleic Acid?
A Mercedes Benz 4-door coupe (sic)?
College Language Association?

I Googled it, and I got no clue. Help!

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
I Googled it, and I got no clue. Help!
Here you go.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Sailfish is too basic for proper usage and ubuntu has not even reached end-users.
What's more basic than a lack of multitasking?

Besides that, I think that Ubuntu gains from Jolla/community (libhybris), but not the other way around. I must agree with pichlo - I am also thankful to Ubuntu for easing the path to Linux many years ago, but then I am quite glad they switched the buttons to the left, because it finally made me leave for much better (and friendlier) distros. Now the line of Ubuntu's brand-moves is quite long and I'm glad I don't participate. Just few examples:
  • the Mir fiasco (+spreading lies about Wayland)
  • the Ubuntu Edge marketing con
  • sending all searches to Amazon by default
  • Ubuntu Touch multitasking
  • "stealing" of libhybris

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Here you go.

What's more basic than a lack of multitasking?

Besides that, I think that Ubuntu gains from Jolla/community (libhybris), but not the other way around. I must agree with pichlo - I am also thankful to Ubuntu for easing the path to Linux many years ago, but then I am quite glad they switched the buttons to the left, because it finally made me leave for much better (and friendlier) distros. Now the line of Ubuntu's brand-moves is quite long and I'm glad I don't participate. Just few examples:
  • the Mir fiasco (+spreading lies about Wayland)
  • the Ubuntu Edge marketing con
  • sending all searches to Amazon by default
  • Ubuntu Touch multitasking
  • "stealing" of libhybris
I meant that ubuntu is even more basic than sail since it even reached end users yet if that wasn't understand. Multitasking for me is when u can run several apps in different windows on the screen at the same time like a real computer. Task switching only step 1 of 2. If Jolla could do a Samsung and add it they would do something amazing. Both tasks witching and multitasking.

Love that list. That makes them different. Its no rocket science. All companies have a list like that. Jolla, tizen...you name it. But it's great to show the bad things. Keep em coming.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-01-29 at 18:56.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Here you go.
If only I'd known what it meant before googling it, I'd have known what to google. But then I suppose I wouldn't have needed to . . .

Because here it isn't.

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
http://bildr.no/image/88008.jpeg
I'm increasingly getting irritated and rankled by all the up and coming hopeful devices/ platforms that promise alot and end up disappointing...well disappointing me at least...I don't know whether others feel the same or not on the topic...
'buntu and the new phone are jumping head 1st into that pudding vat and so I just couldn't help it Dave...

hmmm y'know ...that arrow isn't pointing actually "at" his pocket...more like the inseam.
Which then begs this gutter-meme...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2015-01-30 at 15:43.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:

Tags
linuxrules2013