Active Topics

Greetings Maemo Community,

I am a recent purchaser of the N900 device. One of the major reasons I purchased was the ability to load it up with movies and use the included plug to output video. My vehicle has a Delphi entertainment system in it and won't display the device screens.

I have tested other devices with the plugs, so I know that they are working. I have also tested the N900 on a different display, so I know it is working too.

The only thing I can think of; the in car system does not like the higher output resolution and won't scale. Would someone provide some insight on how I could change the screen resolution output from the CLI for the TV Out plugs? We're getting ready for a road trip and I would love to keep the kids occupied with movies.

Thanks in advance,

B

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
The resolution is standard 640x480 out the box. Check to make sure that is it not set to PAL but NTSC, that might be causing an issue.

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Southampton, UK
Hi, there isn't any easy way of changing the specific resolution, though its possibly that your in car entertainment system only accepts one of either PAL or NTSC video inputs.

If you go to 'Settings' from the menu on the N900 and scroll down until you get to 'TV out'. Tap on 'TV out' and change the output format to whichever one is not selected at the moment - ie if it currently says PAL change it to NTSC and vice versa.

Then try reconnecting to the in car entertainment system. Hopefully this works, if not let me know and I'll do some digging.

Hi, thanks for the responses. I am in the US, the car supports NTSC, which is currently selected in the N900. I will try toggling the output, but as stated it has worked on a TV in the house.

I confirmed this morning the car works on the input with a portable DVD player.

Thanks,

B

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I can't speak to compatibility with in-car entertainment systems, but I have found problems connecting the video output of my N900 to some recording devices, including DVD recorders and DVCAM decks. I haven't had time to pursue the problem, but somehow the video signal out of the N900 is slightly off-spec. It will work with televisions, which tend to be fairly forgiving, but not with more demanding equipment.

)ust a follow up. I have performed an additional test on a different TV which was not an HD unit and it behaved as expected.

Originally Posted by peterjb31 View Post
Hi, there isn't any easy way of changing the specific resolution, though its possibly that your in car entertainment system only accepts one of either PAL or NTSC video inputs.

If you go to 'Settings' from the menu on the N900 and scroll down until you get to 'TV out'. Tap on 'TV out' and change the output format to whichever one is not selected at the moment - ie if it currently says PAL change it to NTSC and vice versa.

Then try reconnecting to the in car entertainment system. Hopefully this works, if not let me know and I'll do some digging.
This did not work. Does the N900 always output video on the port or only when the cable is used? Is there a manual process I can kick off to turn it on?

Thanks!

B

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
Just as a matter of interest, did you try a different cable? Nokia seems to do little funny things sometimes (like charging with the usb cable) and since their tv out has that big block in it -- whereas the ones you get with other equipment don't, I wonder if their might be something going on in their (I could totally be off-base, but weirder things have happened)... Perhaps you have a similar cable with a video camera or something... to test with. --Thor

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Southampton, UK
What happens when you run:
'cat /sys/devices/platform/nokia-av/detect' both when you are connected and when you are not connected to the screen.

EDIT: Path does exist. Working on test results. I went into system for some reason. Need more coffee

B

Last edited by bcjenkins; 2009-12-18 at 13:46.

Tags
tv out