Notices

Can you add A option for use it as root ?

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
This could really compete with Cuteexplorer

# A bookmark tab would be nice.
# A way to choose default programs to launch on filetypes
# thumbs for pictures
# A tree view (if it not have it)

Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
I want to try it, but this sentence keeps me off:
Can't really do anything more for you I can tell you though that I did test it thoroughly. I will use it on my files myself. But I will do the backup as well

One thing though.. Be especially careful when moving and overwriting something. The source files are always deleted, even if you choose not to overwrite the target. I am not quite sure about the behavior but I think people would expect these files to stay. Note that you can always abort the operation and not lose anything. Also, this will only happen if you're moving between 2 different partitions (It's really on the more complicated side of things...)

Oh, and solution to it is not trivial, so I released it even though I know about it. I'll add this to the first post just if anybody can actually understand it

Last edited by lukash; 2010-07-20 at 20:21. Reason: missed the quote somewhere

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Any screenshots please?

Originally Posted by s33 View Post
ok..i know about that...

i know we can hide files through terminal....
But what am asking is that will it be a GUI based hiding thing???
i think so
On linux, files starting with . (dot) are hidden. They are by default not shown by file managers etc. Usually, they are configuration files and other stuff you don't need to see all the time.

But..... On N900, the folders you see in the default file manager as "Audio Clips", "Images" and all those that have nonstandard icon, are actually hidden folders on the file system called .sounds, .images and so on. Reason given is so that they could localize the names. IMHO they really screwed it up. I'll have to make some workaround for this in the future, because people can't access their data through hidden files and although its possible to move these directories, I think its not easy and you can't expect that from regular users.

So, press Ctrl-H to show these files starting with a dot and you'll find all your data in those ugly-named directories.

Originally Posted by AndiThebest View Post
nice, thats exactly that what i have planned to program when i would have free time for it
Do you have plans to add ssh/sftp or smb support?
I certainly do, though I was thinking mostly about mounting these as volumes on the FS. I don't have much experience using them though and don't know what's possible. Accessing something like this directly would be way far off though, I'm afraid, case has nothing close to a virtual FS..

I was looking into possibilities of using a virtual FS from another project, but apart from Gnome-dependant and KDE-dependant FMs there is basically only libferris, a (most probably) pretty awesome virtual FS implementation, amongst many other things, but it has next to no documentation and the whole set of interconnected components has a common and pretty complex build system. It would most probably handle all these natively (I really don't know ATM, feel free to investigate)

In the end, I decided the time I'd need to figure it out and integrate libferris into case would be too long and wrote the functions to manipulate the files myself.

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
How does it compare with CuteExplorer?
Well, I think case is better

CuteExplorer has a single pane with a context menu offering the cut/copy/paste commands. I find it much more comfortable the way I've done it Also, CuteExplorer can't work with non-empty directories. OTOH, it can send files over bluetooth, case can't atm. (I didn't find time to copy that code yet )

I did copy a few things off there though, thanks Tomma Asp!

Originally Posted by hidetoshi777 View Post
Can you add A option for use it as root ?
What would you like? An icon in the menu? I'm not sure its a good idea. You can always run it as root from the terminal or create the menu icon yourself (With some knowledge of how things work. If you need pointers, just ask, but you know... if you want root, you should know what you're doing )

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ wales
very impresses, midnight commander meets cute explorer, with bugs ironed out and functionality improved this would be my main file explorer.

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
This could really compete with Cuteexplorer
# A bookmark tab would be nice.
- Could be done and could be useful, what exactly do you have in mind?

# A way to choose default programs to launch on filetypes
- case uses system mime type information for opening files. It should be possible to edit this through case. I'd need to find out how to do it though. There could maybe be another way to edit the mime applications too.

# thumbs for pictures
- Maybe, not sure what it would take. Not too high on the priority list...

# A tree view (if it not have it)
- It doesn't, the viewing is done altogether by default QT classes, which means altering it this way might not be easy. Also, I don't see the benefit of the tree view. it would not fit into the pane. (unless you'd be able to resize them/hide one, which is a planned feature )

Tags
file manager