Active Topics

Originally Posted by nthn View Post
, I can't think of any product in recent history that was released in two editions where all specifications but the size were identical, where the smaller one outsold the bigger one.
Surely iPhone 6 sold more than 6 plus?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tommo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
there's no such thing as too big TV, just too expensive one.
And when it comes to phones it's just a habbit (unles one has a Deadpool hand ). I'm used to use my "smart" devices with both hands since good old stylus and HWR days for true smart functions. After all, we all miss N900 and that was "two hands" device for basically everything except the phone function.
ATM I'm using 4.3" phone since my J1 screen is dead and I don't like it, useless for anything other than calling and texting.
And now I'm more interesting in that port for Z Play than for xperia X just because of the 5.5" screen.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Of course it is possible to have a to big TV. Watching TV from 2 m distance on a 85" is toal nonsense. Having a TV of that size in a small dark room is ugly. It's just like painting one wall black.

I have no problem using my device with two hands. But I think there has to be the possibility to use it in some situations still with one hand. And in my opinion a phone should fit in my pockets. I don't want to use a separate bag.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Macros View Post
Today I got to hold a 5,5 inch phone and sadly its just to huge for my hands. One handed use is difficult and my tests suggest thumb typing will be exhausting for my fingers when reaching for keys in the middle of the keyboard often.
It certainly wouldn't have the same ergonomics as the N900 where most people could 'frame' the device with their fingers and type with thumbs. My guess is it will require a change in the way the device is held, so the fingers clamp each side of the base but don't wrap around the top of the base of the device like they do with the N900.

On the 'reaching' issue:
If the hands have been repositioned closer to the bottom of the device (for middle key access) then the actual width of the A to L key row doesn't look like a problem (normal typing of words and spaces) but the placement of the backspace key and the right hand shift could then be a stretch... ...In fact if the hands/thumbs are supposed to be positioned at the bottom of the device, then the lesser used keys Pg Up, and Pg Dn should be moved to the right-edge, and the Return key moved inwards etc. (but that would look strange).

The N900 keyboard width is actually much closer to the BlackBerry KEYone (which unfortunately has a locked bootloader).

Unfortunately my own TOHKBD wasn't great as it had unreliable keypresses, and as everyone mentioned was top heavy.

Certainly I'm sure Chen's team have tested the comfort issue already with the Moto Z version. Let's hope all the backers find a comfortable way to use this keyboard!

Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
But I think there has to be the possibility to use it in some situations still with one hand.
I would suggest reverting to the touchscreen in those situations.

Last edited by caa; 2017-08-05 at 12:18.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to caa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by caa View Post
I would suggest reverting to the touchscreen in those situations.
Absolutely, but reaching the Top corners on a 5.5" device is really hard. Anyway, I think the decision for the 5.5" screen is already final. And we have to live with that. For me it is acceptable, as long as the device is sleek (12 mm is fine for me) and the bezels as small as possible.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
After all, we all miss N900 and that was "two hands" device for basically everything except the phone function.
I think you are missing a few use cases where single hand is needed, or at least can be used by some people.
Phone is one of those obviously, but there are a lot more. Basically everything done on the go while walking can fit in the single hand usage. There are a lot of time when you need using your phone while having a bag or a child in your arm. Checking GPS for an address, quick sms or mail answer on the virtual keyboard, taking a photo of something you handle, changing bluetooth settings for your earpiece...
And it can be quite hard on bigger screens (for some people at least) to reach comfortably the flash or exposure settings of the camera app, to active the gps in the events' pulley menu, or simply to pick the contact at the top of the list to make a call. That is something where the UI should help, but even Sailfish is not enough on some points.

PS: this post is only to add details to the screen size subject, not to expect Chen to change the specs which must be set by the time.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Absolutely, but reaching the Top corners on a 5.5" device is really hard.
Absolutely, 5.5 inch 16:9 display implies 122mm display length. Allowing 10mm to 15mm each side for the bezel implies between 142mm to 152mm device length unless they can achieve great feats with the top and bottom bezel size.

Yes it is true that size is less universally comfortable, therefore repositioning the device one-handed could result in dropping the phone. EDIT: Actually regardless of hand 'length' I completely see your concern is correct.

Just one more crazy request from me:

Chen, please include the possibility in the Indiegogo campaign to pay extra for a Sailfish logo on the back of the device instead of the Livermorium logo. The idea being when people see this sleek device, to 'promote' investigation into Sailfish OS. You could still use the Livermorium logo but much smaller on the device.

Ideally, the SailfishOS.org website should have an "approved devices" page, which would connect-up the public awareness strategy better, and given that Jolla seems to have shifted to become 'software vendor/integrator' then that "approved devices" page might be soon on the horizon.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to caa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
What about a notification LED? I find it a very important feature and can't imagine myself using a phone without it.

Anyway, I really like the idea and I'm really likely to buy it

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
People are also still buying tv's that take up the entire wall of their 5x5 living room en masse, even though they are all terrible (especially at such a short viewing distance). Unfortunately, it seems like to the general public, big = good, bigger = better, huge = great, and anything smaller is obviously going to be of worse quality. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any product in recent history that was released in two editions where all specifications but the size were identical, where the smaller one outsold the bigger one.
Well, While I agree with you small tvs and small devices usually dont have the latest hardware. So in a way its true. Bigger is better

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Bigger is better
Size does not matter... Just how you use it...

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen