Active Topics

Originally Posted by Jerome
So what? Obviously tablet PCs are "in". The problem is that none of them really works (including the 770)
I am glad you said that. That the 770 doesn't work quite right either. I like it but it frustrates the hell out of me at times. I hope the next version that comes out will be a lot better. The form factor is perfect for me though. Truely pocketable. The MS thing is a bit big. And kind of Fisher Price looking

The thing I want is the notepad keyboard that is shown in the video. Make it smaller or the 770 and it would be perfect.

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
FYI: Nokia has a very nice foldable bluetooth keyboard.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Bonn, Germany
I've never been very pro-MS but taking this thing on rough-specs alone (not on year-old videos and plastic mock-ups,) it could be very close to my ideal CarryPad (click to see carrypad blog)
We all know that there's a gap above the 770 (more processor power, fold-out keyboard) and i'd argue that not too many people actually put 770's in their pockets. To be honest I rarely even put my pocket pc in my pocket as I always have some sort of bag with me. If thats the case, then what so bad about a 7" screen? Now obviously, if you make an XP-based device, you've got to run 800x640 resolution as a minumum so 7" screen is probably the physical minumum for productivity at those resolutions which I think leaves the door open slightly for Apple and Nokia here. A Nokia '880' priced at Euro500, with a better processor and better with a 6" screen and fold-out keyboard is going to really hit the mark for me. No bloated operating system, no need for 512Mb ram. Just pure sofa-surfing perfection.

Cheers.
Steve.

Last edited by shinysteve; 2006-02-28 at 21:48.

Originally Posted by shinysteve
... i'd argue that not too many people actually put 770's in their pockets.
I carry my 770 with me, in my pocket, everywhere. That is one of its single most-appealing qualities (for me).

I refuse to lug around a tablet (or laptop) that will not fit in my pocket. If it can't fit in my pocket, it'll end up on my dresser or nightstand and never move, so it might as well be a desktop.

The same goes for the folding keyboard that I use with the Nokia 770.

Of course, that's just me. There are certainly plenty of people willing to carry around a laptop, so a 7" screen might appeal to them. But at that point, I imagine, it's more about weight and less about volume, unless you want to carry it around in something bigger than a pocket but smaller than a laptop bag (like a purse).

i carry mine in my coat pocket, and in my back jeans pocket, as i did with my ipaq, clie, and visor before it. an no, i've not yet sat one one, a pda in a jeans pocket is just large enough to be a constant reminder that it is there. And yes, I use it as a PDA, and no I don't care that it can't sync. I don't use a desktop app much anyway. if GPE-PIM didn't run on the 770 i wouldn't have got it

I can see how it would fit in a coat pocket and I guess that depends on where you live in the world really. If you have a coat, its going to sit nicely in the inside pocket.
A jeans pocket seems a bit of a squeeze but then i'm uncomfortable if I put so much as a bus ticket in my jeans pockets!

But I understand you. A Nokia is a really small device and that size will apeal to certain people. It just doesnt match my spec yet and becuase its soooo close, it really annoys me!!

Regards
Chippy.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
I carry the 770 in a hip bag with my wallet and cell phone. Not quite a purse, but bigger than a pocket.

But I also carry my backpack with me during the day. Me, I'd prefer a 5- or 6-inch screen.

I understand Nokia's choices in making the 770 this size. Clearly a lot of people won't buy anything bigger. But I imagine the whole spectrum of sizes will be filled with devices soon enough. People have laptops and desktops, they have PDAs, and they're very familiar with the limitations of them all, which the 770-style internet tablet (generic reference) responds to.

RogerS.
You're right about the spectrum of sizes. They will all be filled soon.
There's a definate sub-group (i wouldnt call it a major group) of people that need the web-browsing experince (800 pixels wide) in a pocketable device.
Pockets PCs cant really devliver that efficiently so I personally think that we'll see 6-7" becoming more popular as a (mainly) home-based (sofa, bed, car) device. There's a definate gap in the market (pepperpad and nokia have seen that gap better than others) and the target group is ripe for a marketing 'hit'. They're 30-something, tech knowledgable and understand the meaning of 'consolidation.' and 'simplicity.'
If someone comes along and say 'look, you hardly ever use that laptop becuase it take 2 minutes to turn the damn thing on.; How about a stylish looking wall-mountable 'carrypad' that hangs on your kitchen/bedroom/lounge that you can even throw in the car and take on holiday too. The kids will love it!'

Regards
Steve 'Chippy'

i definatly have plans to build a wall hanging device like that, wouldn't need to run on batteries, but would still need low power.