Notices

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Colour me extremely stupid, but I simply [i[]cannot[/i] get this to work. I want to create a playlist using a selection of songs from various albums. I either end up with a playlist of a single album or of all songs. I can make a playlist of certain albums, but can't seem to select individual tracks.

I have tried the instructions in the manual - and they aren't any better. Please can someone help this bear of very little brain with a walk-thru? I am getting very frustrated with my stupidity.

Thanks

Last edited by RevdKathy; 2009-11-29 at 10:03.

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I want to create a playlist using a selection of songs from various albums. I either end up with a playlist of a single album or of all songs. I can make a playlist of certain albums, but can't seem to select individual tracks.
To do this you need to use the very slow and tedious long press on each track you wish to add to the play list.

The key to remember is that you only have the 'Now playing' list available to you when creating playlists in the UI. Try these steps:

Preconditions: you have written down all the tracks you wish to add in the correct order to ensure you don't mix things up.
  1. Launch the media player
  2. Go to 'Now playing' and clear any current tracks (Menu->Clear current playlist). You should now be returned to the 'Music' view.
  3. Find the track you wish to add.
  4. Tap and hold over the track until the context menu is shown.
  5. Select the 'Add to current play list', tick off your list.
  6. Repeat steps 3-5 for the next track. If at any time you add a track in the wrong order or as will happen a tap and hold gets interpreted as a tap so that playback of all tracks in the current view kicks off, you are welcome curse profusely before returning to step 2. Once you get bored or too angry to continue move onto step 7.
  7. Once you have been through that pain go to the now playing view and admire your work, just don't forget to save the playlist (Menu->Save playlist) so you don't have to go through all that pain again (for this playlist)

I have yet to find a truly great playlist editor but the maemo 5 media player takes a close second as the worst.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LES.. For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Thanks Les. I thought that was what I was doing. But every time I find when I look at 'now playing' that it has added the entire library. I'll try again making sure I a following your instructions to the letter.

Originally Posted by LES.. View Post
The media player will load m3u playlists. As i have all my media organised in separate directories I have found the best way to generate these on the device is to fire up the xterm and use find.
Code:
find / -name "*.mp3" > playlist.m3u
All it takes is a regex to get the music i want into a playlist. The playlist can then be loaded from the media player UI (Music->Menu->Playlists). All in all this is a long winded way to say that the playlist management in the media player sucks so badly I don't use it.

Putting aside the media player in theory the mafw layer provides a very rich tool set for third party applications to access the media library and create playlists. It will be interesting to see if anyone decides to try and hook into these and actually create a good playlist tool.
LES if you don't mind, could you post an example of a line from your playlist? I've been playing around with my m3u files using various syntax and path structure, but can't get the Media player to recognize/find the songs I'm listing.

Originally Posted by spot521 View Post
LES if you don't mind, could you post an example of a line from your playlist? I've been playing around with my m3u files using various syntax and path structure, but can't get the Media player to recognize/find the songs I'm listing.
Sure thing, i have generated a playlist for the default tracks on the device and attached it to this post (i hope). It has a .txt extension to get around the limits of this forum, just drop that and copy it over to your device.
There is no magic it is just, one line, to one absolute path to a media file. If you are copying playlists over it seems to work with relative paths provided they are from the playlist location.
Attached Files
File Type: txt default_tracks.m3u.txt (414 Bytes, 551 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LES.. For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by LES.. View Post
Sure thing, i have generated a playlist for the default tracks on the device and attached it to this post (i hope). It has a .txt extension to get around the limits of this forum, just drop that and copy it over to your device.
There is no magic it is just, one line, to one absolute path to a media file. If you are copying playlists over it seems to work with relative paths provided they are from the playlist location.
Thanks, that helps a lot! Still playing around with MediaMonkey to sync up playlists in the right format but it's looking like I am going to have to write a separate script of some sort to get it right. Making progress though...

Hmm Media Monkey is a Windows application thus the slashes are going to be wrong (Windows uses \ while Unix based systems like OSX and Linux use /).

Thus you should be able to just do a find and replace to replace \ with /.

Assuming of course that they didn't hardcode the path (e.g. E:\Music\Bob\SpongebobSquarepants.mp3). If it's relative then it should just be (\Bob\SpongebobSquarepants.mp3).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Yep so far the closest i've gotten is to set the sync folder to \Music for both the songs and playlists. Then the only step from there would be to find and remove "\Music\" from all playlist files.

Should be a pretty simple to whip up a batch file to do that but unfortunately I'm horrible at writing them.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Portsmouth, England
Can anyone help me as when I sync from Media Monkey to the N900(as a mass storage device) the tracks in each album are only listed (on the N900) in alphabetical order and not the original order from the album?

I have read this thread and spent ages trying to figure out why and am completely puzzled as the track number is correctly tagged in Media Monkey (or at least it seems to be).

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys..
I was able to sync my n900 with media monkey.. and i documented the steps here:
http://pankajsays.blogspot.com/2009/...ia-player.html

hope that helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to pankajsays For This Useful Post: