Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by eaglehelang View Post
Bro, never mind, US people wouldnt understand abt need for SD card, USB mass storage, problem with internet connections
Or the funeral looking interface, making people 'pantang' want to buy
No SD card in the N9 either. But no USB mass storage for the Lumia 900 though.

I think you mis-characterized "US people". We tend to not understand the significance of Bluetooth exchange. I mean, c'mon man... if you're gonna stick your stereotypes on us, get 'em right!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Lumia 900 has bluetooth, so I did not mention that part.
It's only released in US at the moment, so...I didnt mention "Western countries".
N900 should have SD card slot, does it not ?
I would have prefered SD card slot on N9, but without it, USB mass storage is very useful. Transfering 350MB file thru bluetooth will take ages.

But yeah, many dont understand the significance of "problems with internet connection" or no unlimited 3G data rates. If can find 1 out of 50, good already

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I mean, c'mon man... if you're gonna stick your stereotypes on us, get 'em right!
At least two of my 5 colleagues in the US office have diabetes

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 150 | Thanked: 169 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Funny how a Finnish company bought that exact line and bet their entire company on that same premise.
Funny how the fact that it was a North American who made 'em do it escaped you. Although you won't ever hear me say anything positive about the rest of the board either for going along with him.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bocephus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eaglehelang View Post
Bro, never mind, US people wouldnt understand abt need for SD card, USB mass storage, problem with internet connections
Or the funeral looking interface, making people 'pantang' want to buy
to each his own

unlimited data isn't really needed because in the US we get free wifi just about everywhere So, I barely need to use my data anyways. Regarding the internet probs, Nokia already stated they'd be giving $100 back to all Nokia lumia users along with sending an update on the 16 Also most people got it free anyways upon signing a new contract with AT&T, so basically, Nokia has payed me to have the Lumia..what can be sweeter than that hehe

Last edited by nokiaqueen; 2012-04-13 at 19:17.

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
[...]

So just because you happen to hate MS or Windows in whichever order that may be, you dissmiss the Lumia 900 and its WP7 OS as a downgrade ?
Come on get off your high horses and see the obvious.
[...]
the OP himself gave a few very good reasons (in my book)
and... that
if you don't understand that, maybe you don't belong on this forum, except. of course, as a troll...

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
I actually got the Lumia 710 to replace an old Motorola Cliq 2 I was using for work through MS Store - Smoked by Windows Phone trade in they were doing for free. The Cliq 2 had to go it was laggy, annoying, and a pain to use. So for the past week I have been using the Lumia 710.

Granted I have a N900 at home not in use and N9 for personal, but I wanted a phone that did business tasks well so I opted to use the Lumia 710 for that. I understand its limitations, especially HW wise. The email with Outlook shines on the phone. Really is the best part. Best email experience with Outlook I have had on the phone yet. Office is equally as polished. Nokia Drive works as good as it does on the N9. The browser blah nothing special there. Camera is no good. Speakers are no good also. I understood all this before I got the phone but needed it for pedestrian use compared to what I use my N9 for.

So for all those going off on how it is horrible compared to N900/N9 understand that there are users out there that fit in that zone where Android is just a big fragmented mess for them and iOS is just too Vanilla for them over the years. Windows Phone fits that in between with a lot of pedestrian utility with live tiles, outlook, etc. You wouldn't wear cleats to play basketball would you? I can see the usefulness of the Lumia line, it's not that bad, but it is no N9 for my day to day use.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZackMorris For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZackMorris View Post
I actually got the Lumia 710 to replace an old Motorola Cliq 2 I was using for work through MS Store - Smoked by Windows Phone trade in they were doing for free. The Cliq 2 had to go it was laggy, annoying, and a pain to use. So for the past week I have been using the Lumia 710.

Granted I have a N900 at home not in use and N9 for personal, but I wanted a phone that did business tasks well so I opted to use the Lumia 710 for that. I understand its limitations, especially HW wise. The email with Outlook shines on the phone. Really is the best part. Best email experience with Outlook I have had on the phone yet. Office is equally as polished. Nokia Drive works as good as it does on the N9. The browser blah nothing special there. Camera is no good. Speakers are no good also. I understood all this before I got the phone but needed it for pedestrian use compared to what I use my N9 for.

So for all those going off on how it is horrible compared to N900/N9 understand that there are users out there that fit in that zone where Android is just a big fragmented mess for them and iOS is just too Vanilla for them over the years. Windows Phone fits that in between with a lot of pedestrian utility with live tiles, outlook, etc. You wouldn't wear cleats to play basketball would you? I can see the usefulness of the Lumia line, it's not that bad, but it is no N9 for my day to day use.
just like most consumers use m$ LostDOS because it is what comes installed on their PC when they buy it, most consumers get either an iPotato or an ANDroid.
that's what everybody has, right?
m$?
do they do (mobile) phones?
yeah, sure, what does m$ not do?!?
thanks to Flop, m$ now registers as a tiny blip on the mobile landscape
that's all it'll ever be...

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Couple of my friends already got their Lumia 900s as they are AT&T bandits (they love having empty wallets) and they really like them, funnily enough, *mainly* for its gorgeous blue design. Ahem... my N9 you like yes? (Yoda voice)

While they are your classic tech-sheep and just go with whatever is advertised in Times Square, they showed me some nice pretty things within the OS, none of which I would say were better-or-worse than in my Harmattan OS.

But the one most important, most used feature of my N9 is the 'glance-ability' of the sleep-screen, which constantly shows me the time and any kind of notification, sms, email, facebook, what-have-you. On the Lumia's screen... NOTHING. Not even when a text comes in. It stays completely black, which in my view would be awful to switch to from the N9.

Also, (and this would drive me EFFING NUTS) who decided that signal strength and battery % were things you couldn't see all the time? You have to tap the top of the screen and the icons fall down into view in a nice jolly way. EFF THAT SHAT. I couldn't live with that. Nah.

The Following User Says Thank You to AndyNokia232 For This Useful Post:
Congrats on your new toy nokiaqueen (and likewise gerbick).

I could have guessed how this topic was going to turn out from the topic title and don't believe you need to defend your choice, you have the phone you wanted and you like it. No one should be made to feel like a target for their choice of phone especially when its someone who has fair understanding of the mobile market.

We have to remember that both nokiaqueen and gerbick are not new to the forums and have been frequent posters here on maemo.org for a number of years now. They have also been on this Nokia rollercoaster with the rest of us and know full well what the score was with this MS & lumia ride. They did not go and buy their phones out of pure fanboy/girl blindness or buy into the hype of some sales tripe and then join the forum to troll some of us more ardent Nokia fans. If they (or any other TMO) user buys a lumia device and wants to sing the praises of a feature or comment on what the pro's and cons are of the handset, then I for one would be happy to read what they have to say.

It seems that we are forever reading polarised views on these things, beit Elop and his marketing machined WP7 fanboys or naysayers who don't believe Nokia can do anything right, it is quite refreshing to hear the honest reviews from a trusted poster of the forum. IMO their comments should be respected even if we still can't agree with their views. We can alway use this as an opportunity to ask more questions from a device owner that we know will give an honest and unbiased view point. There might even be a few surprises to learn.

Personally I would like to ask how is they call quality of the L900? I do understand there was the hic up at launch and props to Nokia for sorting that so damn fast, so with that now sorted I am interested to know if the call quality is back to the standards that you would expect from Nokia.

Edit: Sorry, went of on a tangent.

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2012-04-13 at 21:40.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post: