i hope nokia releases 850 variant for NAM users..

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
The real question is actually why bands are allowed to be fractured and auctioned to virtual monopolies.
Think of it as electromagnetic homesteading

You want this thing

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10614...oid-party.html
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
T-mobile is switching over to hspa+ at 28mps or something like that.

Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
If you really want this phone to succeed in the US I feel that you need to support AT&T's network.
I don't think they really care about succeeding in the USA for now. They're more focused on Europe and Asia. Though I'm guessing the frequency AT&T is on is also used by other countries, so why the lack of it? I dunno. Maybe there's some royalty you have to pay or something..

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

with the rollouts of late it is possible that t-mobile will pass AT&T in amount of population covered by 3g in the US, maybe that is the rationale.

Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
with the rollouts of late it is possible that t-mobile will pass AT&T in amount of population covered by 3g in the US, maybe that is the rationale.
Perhaps they will pass AT&T in 3G coverage but it would take a huge network expansion to pass AT&T in voice coverage.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I don't think they really care about succeeding in the USA for now. They're more focused on Europe and Asia. Though I'm guessing the frequency AT&T is on is also used by other countries, so why the lack of it? I dunno. Maybe there's some royalty you have to pay or something..
I was under the impression from years ago the reason that a lot of US mobile manufacturers didn't have phones in the rest of the world (China excluded) was that they used a frequency set that the rest of the world (Europe, Asia, Africa, Australisia) didn't. Maybe the question should be: Why hasn't the US adopted the world standards instead?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
With the N900 already delayed why not make changes to support WCDMA on 850 and or 1900 mhz? I would understand the marketing decision to only support 3G on T-Mobile frequencies if T-Mobile was supporting the phone. By not having WCDMA on 850 or 1900 the vast majority of the US land area will not have 3G coverage on the N900. If you really want this phone to succeed in the US I feel that you need to support AT&T's network.
the same question could be asked in reverse for my n95, n97 and e71 why didnt they make those work for tmobile? why did i have to suffer?

The Following User Says Thank You to kryptoniankid17 For This Useful Post:
Like the metric system? But I believe Fargus is right to the point with this one, these frequencies have been set as standards around the world to make life easier for consumers, I feel like it's only appropriate that they not waste extra money to customize it for a select few countries out of many.

That said, I do understand the AT&T dilemma because they are beautiful when it comes to voice coverage but anyone could have foreseen this problem a long time ago when they decided to stick with the 850 frequency route. You win some and you lose some...in the case of the N900, AT&T loses it's 3G compatibility since Nokia just didn't want to spend the extra cash.

Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
I was under the impression from years ago the reason that a lot of US mobile manufacturers didn't have phones in the rest of the world (China excluded) was that they used a frequency set that the rest of the world (Europe, Asia, Africa, Australisia) didn't. Maybe the question should be: Why hasn't the US adopted the world standards instead?