Originally Posted by Daneel View Post

BTW, with the assitance of a very helpful member of TMO i acquired a fresh backupmenu images and restored them to my N900, everything works except the USB
Hi, can you please send me the backup image? My microusb is broken, but I need to reflash device.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Hello, can someone send me the backup image too please? I am having the same USB issue here.

Thank you

Any one please? my file system is so corrupted that my n900 wont go for more than 30 minutes without rebooting so I really need that reflash

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Restoring device B from a backup of device A may not be a good idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Restoring device B from a backup of device A may not be a good idea.
Any other sugestion then? phone keeps rebooting sometimes ending in a reboot loop.

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Did you try anything at all yet?

Have backupmenu installed?
What about a fsck of rootfs and opt? Do NOT try to repair!

--edit
@pichlo
what is the latest status of your not-emmc-flashable device right now.
I did not have ANY problems restoring my backup from my no-telephony-suffering baby to my drawer-lying backup device. Both same hardware revision though.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2014-03-29 at 19:20.

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Did you try anything at all yet?

Have backupmenu installed?
What about a fsck of rootfs and opt? Do NOT try to repair!

No I havent tried anything yet.

Yes, I have backupmenu already installed.

Right now the device is just going thru a lot of reebot loops when I turn it on, so it only works from time to time since I have to turn it off to charge the battery with an external charger, and half of the times it does boot the whole system is messed up, I am uploading a video right now of it, and will create a new thread of what is happening.

Most probably a FS corruption, I would guess.
If you are able to make a backup without errors, you may be lucky to restore that backup with backupmenu on a new created FS.
Let us see...

--
but I am now not sure if bm creates new FS by default (I believe) or it just copies files. There was some discussion/change, so hopefully someone more can confirm.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2014-03-29 at 19:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Most probably a FS corruption, I would guess.
If you are able to make a backup without errors, you may be lucky to restore that backup with backupmenu on a new created FS.
Let us see...
From personal experience, I must say the chances are slim.
Been there, done that. Had a case of very bad FS corruption, made a backup and restore with BM. The FS corruption was no longer there but, since the backup was done from a corrupted FS, some files were corrupted or missing. Still worth a try though.

Equally worth a try is: attach the phone to a Linux machine in BM's USB mass storage mode (option 'w' IIRC) and try to repair the FS from the desktop. Better still, make a copy with dd and try to repair the copy.

but I am now not sure if bm creates new FS by default (I believe) or it just copies files. There was some discussion/change, so hopefully someone more can confirm.
It reformats OptFS but only deletes all files on RootFS.

@pichlo
what is the latest status of your not-emmc-flashable device right now.
That was a curious one. Still don't understand it. All my phones consistently failed to flash the emmc on all the machines in the house. I tried all the USB ports and all OS combinations to no avail. Then I purchased a new laptop (an unrelated upgrade) and tried flashing from that and - voilá, a success!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
@rodald
hmm. bad chances. but worth a try. or consider get your usb fixed.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That was a curious one. Still don't understand it. All my phones consistently failed to flash the emmc on all the machines in the house. I tried all the USB ports and all OS combinations to no avail. Then I purchased a new laptop (an unrelated upgrade) and tried flashing from that and - voilá, a success!
Okay, i see.
I can not remember but I believe I used the same laptop (maybe it was the other one ). I do not care as the result was after 32768kB and a RAW message that the partitions and FSs were created. And contents of eMMC I didn't care.
But this is OT and we should go back to your original thread for continuation (if you like ).