Poll: Did you conver anyone to Maemo?
Poll Options
Did you conver anyone to Maemo?

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by Dancairo View Post
sometimes i wonder why you even have an N900! or at least why you haven't yet sold it and bought yourself a kids toy....and if you believe what you wrote then you are not using it correctly and I suggest you get yourself a big button oap phone!
he was an iphone convert...

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
The concept of no modern game aside from Angry Birds and the presense of preenv is kinda self contradictory. I know you're probably exagerating, but still. The game situation sucked when the N900 came out, but it does improve as time goes on. There's also games ported from desktop linux distros that I don't think many phone platforms have. But yes, the N900 is lacking in games. If the user in question was impressed with it though, it's likely they were impressed with something else about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
He liked the various formats the mediaplayer can handle, he was amazed by fillmore and sunvox (he is a bit into music), and he realy liked mypaint and Gimp in easy Debian. He was not much of a gamer on his iPhone either, but liked the option. He also told me he liked MicroB especially because of flash support, and also he liked chromium thou he agrees with me that it is not for a handset.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
You should trade your phone with him or at least help him install all the cool stuff you showed.

IMO you cant convert someone to use Maemo its something that one chooses to either struggle with or enjoy.

p.s. dont let him open Ovi Maps

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

The Following User Says Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
You should trade your phone with him or at least help him install all the cool stuff you showed.

IMO you cant convert someone to use Maemo its something that one chooses to either struggle with or enjoy.

p.s. dont let him open Ovi Maps
We haven't yet met since that, but I already wrote together the stuff he should get, how to get it, and probably next week I'll show him the heavy stuff like easy Debian, NITDroid, preenv, sygic and all the x terminal magic No power-kernel and CSSU thou till he learns a bit about it and be able to decide and do for himself. Maybe a backup-menu as precaution

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Dancairo View Post
sometimes i wonder why you even have an N900! or at least why you haven't yet sold it and bought yourself a kids toy....and if you believe what you wrote then you are not using it correctly and I suggest you get yourself a big button oap phone!
Come on get real will you, after the way we have been treated by Nokia how can you say such things... am loyal to my 900 but only becuase its a damm toy and will never be anything else especially in comparison with an Iphone.

OK we all know your a fanboy along with the fanboys that thanked your crazy post so as i said before get real, this thread is a complete joke !!!.

I voted no, but I just realized I could be considered to have "converted" my Dad, as I played a significant role in the selection of the N900 he got as a birthday gift (from Mum and the kids still at home). He'd previously used Symbian (a Sony-Ericsson and an N96), and seems to like the N900 quite well.

But really, it was less a "conversion" and more making the folks aware of it -- it was an obvious fit, and he'd have bought one the minute he saw it (He's >50% by time Linux user since ~2000, FWIW.).

IPhone users try to tell me because there phone has a pinch and zoom it's better, am still laughing when they have to go outside to get reception

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Come on get real will you, after the way we have been treated by Nokia how can you say such things... am loyal to my 900 but only becuase its a damm toy and will never be anything else especially in comparison with an Iphone.

OK we all know your a fanboy along with the fanboys that thanked your crazy post so as i said before get real, this thread is a complete joke !!!.
ah my friend! I can say such things precisely because I am NOT a nokia fanboy...I was always a sony ericsson user until the N95 8GB and the N900 is only my second Nokia. But really I have no interest in how Nokia treats me because if I don't like it I'll go elsewhere in future and this community has made this device what it is, not Nokia. In my opinion this is the still the best device on the market and having an iphone 4 to compare it too (my girlfriends) hasn't changed my mind. But that's all it is, my opinion, we all have them but they shouldn't be quoted as fact, which is how your post came across. I responded only for two reasons: 1. I have found you somewhat amusing in the past so your name caught my attention and 2. Travelling across London late on a bus there is little else to do.
As for the people who thanked me, well, maybe they too have tried an iphone and also disagreed with your post.

Don't take it all too seriously though, it's just a phone and in a couple of years we'll all be grazing in pastures new.

Dan

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dancairo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
I have not been able to convert any iPhone user to the N900, but I am now regretting convincing one of my workmates to buy an N900 at the same time I did, because I have lost my N900 in December and moved on to Android while he is stuck with the N900.

I was able to convince one other of my workmates to not upgrade to an iPhone 4 from his very old Nokia phone and to get an Android phone, he is quite happy with it.

I am still very interested in the future of Maemo / MeeGo because it has a lot more potential than any other mobile OS out there... Still waiting.

Last edited by H3llb0und; 2011-03-06 at 23:49.

Tags
bada rox, convert, games, syinbin, tick pepol, twig the tool