Originally Posted by cjp View Post
Personally I feel that a lot of things with the N9 has gone towards your run-of-the-mill Android. No flash in browser that prefers mobile sites and no out-of-the-box hackability.
where do you get the N9 not have out-of-the-box hackability?? what is the problem?

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
No disrespect or anything, but really? "The day when Nokia is finished with Meego"... Really? What exactly are you waiting for?

As far as a new phone, right now there is no viable alternative, but since my N900 was recently replaced, I can luckily wait.
I'm only highlighting my interest with nokia is as far as nokia takes meego. I'm not waiting for anything, rather just to reinstate my position as nokia's fan is only purely for the factor of its persistence in producing proper linux based devices.

nokia has already somewhat indicated that N9 maybe the last of the meego devices but who knows what they will do down the track with meego platform on their handheld devices. So if lets assume nokia release another handheld/phone/internet-tablet with phone functionality device running meego after N9 and following after that another one, I may continue to purchase those. However if nokia releases sea ray right after N9, my next device will surely be android based (hopefully I may get a much revised openmoko device).

The Following User Says Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 105 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Finland
I'll most likely stick to my N900 as a my primary phone as long as possible, I got myself a spare one so I have that as a backup. I will never get a android phone, I got a ZTE Blade cheap as I needed a cheap data connection. I hate android, the interface is annoying, the browser is complete **** compared to the N900 and I hate the idiotic way connections are handled. Why can't the stupid thing ASK me.

I was lucky to get the N950 (but I won't use it as my primary phone, not yet at least) and I love the interface, so I might get a N9 someday. But after that...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 305 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ 'Nam
My next phone will be the T-mobile MyTouch 4G Slide. Great cam, dual core and it has a keyboard. I've learn to put up with android since I've been using the HTC G2 with CM7 rom its so bad. One thing android does is leave you feeling like this is not true linux. But seeing that some mobile OS is getting shot down before they can leave the ground. Android for me is an easy choice. So hopefully the MyTouch 4G Slide can hold me over for a good 2 years.

Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
I'd like something like this http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/products/smartbook.htm, but the mini tab would have to work as a quad-band phone too...

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JohnLF View Post
I'd like something like this http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/products/smartbook.htm, but the mini tab would have to work as a quad-band phone too...
This looks quite interesting in that it should be easily reflashed
to run whatever linux you want.

It has no GPS, but thats fixable with a USB or bluetooth addon.

As for GSM - you should also be able to hack that in with
a GSM usb dongle type - there are many that have calling/texting
capabilities and there already exists software to
do that anyway.

I will definitely be looking closely at this if it shows up
next time i get to Singapore...

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 321 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland (Turku)
In May I wrote I won't buy N9/N950 if it doesn't have a dual core processor. But it seems to be a different world today. Google bought Motorola, RIM is struggling with the aging Blackberry OS, Hewlett Packard closed the door for WebOS devices (did Ballmer and Windows 8 have something to do with this?), and Intel has been pretty quiet about MeeGo too.

So if the price is right, I will most likely buy the N9 just because it might be the last chance to buy something else than Android, iOS or Windows Phone device (you pratically can't buy Blackberry in Finland).

Besides, I already own a 10" FroYo tablet, and I really hate using Android. The need for hardware keys are making me mad, the UI is a real mess and switching between programs is pain in the *ss. I've downloaded tens of apps from Android Market, and haven't really used most of them since the first time. Almost all of them are badly written with a terrible UI.

I'll keep my N900 too, as it still works like a charm.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stonik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Nokia dumb-brick or a Blackberry with no apps for a phone, and some ARM 4-5" pocket device with a keyboard.

I was looking for n950 , but now we can't get it , but if I can install maemo on n9, then sure n9, otherwise a dumb cheap chinese phone, having an audio player and a fm radio. After using n900, I don't think I am intersted in android anymore and iphone(No way.....)

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by nike_ab View Post
I was looking for n950 , but now we can't get it , but if I can install maemo on n9, then sure n9, otherwise a dumb cheap chinese phone, having an audio player and a fm radio. After using n900, I don't think I am intersted in android anymore and iphone(No way.....)
There's loads of inherent differences with the architecture behind N900 and N9, such as the mostly debated hardware floating point and software floating point. N900 and maemo 5 is precompiled to use software floating point whereas the N950/N9 uses harmattan and is precompiled to depend on hardware floating point.

Apart from that you might want to have a look at cordia which the project intends to bring the much loved matchbox UI from maemo 5 across to meego.