Active Topics

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
As quoted from Engadget,
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/30/c...-wont-be-made/
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/30/n...othe-frustrat/
http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...63T1F820100430
"Well, here's a surprise: Reuters says Nokia might consider replacing CEO Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo in order to please unhappy shareholders who don't see the cellphone giant effectively competing in the smartphone market. The report is mostly based on analyst chatter and doesn't provide any hard sources, but we've certainly seen analysts swarm around blood in the water like this in the past, so it's not totally out of the question -- especially given core concerns about Symbian^3 delays, stagnant profit growth, and (uh oh) competing against the iPhone. What's more, OPK pledged to build up Nokia's US presence when he took over, and he's obviously failed to deliver on that promise -- US marketshare has fallen from 20 percent to 7 percent, prompting one analyst quoted in the Reuters piece to wonder if "Nokia really has the desire to fix the problem." Ouch. That's a lot of big questions with no easy answers -- OPK is scheduled to speak to shareholders next week, we'll see what he has to say. "

I think that sums up a lot of people's feeling concerning Nokia lately. People are worrying about Meego and the devices. Shareholders are upset and Nokia has lost %13 of their market share in the United States. They are delaying everything they do for some odd reason. They might be losing it.

What do you guys think? Are you worried about Meego and Maemo? Will Nokia lag behind?

P.S. I'm not on either camp as I am not a fanboy nor a troller(idk). Just a tech geek. I genuinely want to know what you think about the situation.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to gom4381 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
Kallasvuo may indeed be fired to appease shareholders, but it would be "unfair" in the sense that we'll have a much better view of the situation when the N8 reaches consumers and the Harmattan device is revealed.

Right now people are angry based on one prototype preview written in really bad taste.

Should Nokia have changed its course sooner? Yes. But why punish someone when the changes are finally starting to bear fruit? For his sake, I hope people have just a bit more patience and that S^3 and MeeGo are as good as they should be.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jnwi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Firing OPK now would be either too late or too soon. He made the bets on Symbian Foundation, Meego and Services. That strategy will or will not mature 1H2011. I would give him time until summer 2011.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
People = Americans
Wut?

.edit
Sometimes when reading stuff online i feel like that there is nothing else than USA and its market.

Last edited by slender; 2010-04-30 at 18:11.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by slender View Post
People = Americans
Wut?
It's based on Reuters article wrtitten by Tarmo Virki. A finn based in Helsinki, Finland. He uses finnish and other european analysts in the article, not just americans.

So, no.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
I like in what direction things are going technology-wise, and (not being a shareholder) couldn't care less whether Nokia is making profits and maintaining market shares. It would be a shame if a change in management torpedoes the progress that has been made in the recent year, and directs the company to more lucrative but also dumber products that have (temporarily) gained popularity in the last couple of years.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
I am simply not sure who to blame for the down spiral of Nokia share... I guess everybody should be fired.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
"..week rushed out details of its new flagship N8 model, which failed to impress the market."

Weird. I have read quite many blogs and user comments that are just in awe of new n8. Eldar just made clown of himself. Maybe I have just read wrong forums :|

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
I like in what direction things are going technology-wise, and (not being a shareholder) couldn't care less whether Nokia is making profits and maintaining market shares.
This, along with "if you don't like it, buy an iPhone" is repeated here often. But the fact is we should all care - a lot.

Market share will directly impact future third party services that may not otherwise be available to us, scale will enable Nokia to polish the devices we want to buy, and profitability is the only thing that can convince Nokia to continue on this path.

The often dismissive attitude towards Symbian is also dangerous. MeeGo is still very much dependent on Symbian's market share to drive application development with Qt, and we should be extremely grateful that a proper Linux distro has this asset behind it. There's no other way it will ever break into the mass market.

And now that Symbian is free software too, surely we should stand behind both of them, and hope Nokia retakes every last bit of ground it has lost.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jnwi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
They did not just "lose 13% of their marketshare".
Their market share dropped from 20% to 7%.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:

Tags
ceo firing, fooled again