Active Topics

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
-battery life: very good.

Illustrated as: I orgot my phone when I went on a trip - not a bad thing, for I have seen more horizon and less Jolla, after 8 days I forgot where in the house I had dropped it, called the Jolla and it replied with its last remaining 4 percent.

Network Vinaphone Vietnam, in concrete building with so so coverage.

-dropping resistance has been tested on hard tile flor from about 50cm height. As expected the sharp edges don't wear pretty.

http://1drv.ms/1cOzKjo

http://1drv.ms/1mA7Zhz

shot dent taken with MS 1020 Lumia on background Nokia blue.
http://1drv.ms/1mAbk01

-overall call quality I have tested and compared two Nokia 808's and experience clearer call quality with the Jolla. (less background noises)

To conclude, at some point I will use Sailfish as daily phone , probably when the camera quality improves and call recording app emerges.

I still feel like I would pay 100 Euro-American dollars for a license to run this Sailfish OS on a Note 2 with full hardware support.
It is the software that matters.

Last edited by ste-phan; 2014-02-26 at 08:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by toki View Post
umm... all my contacts unlinked itself.. and now i have phone numbers without names..

O_O"

*shakes fist at sailfish os*
This is a new bug
https://together.jolla.com/question/...phone-numbers/
There is a fix in the next update but it caused a real headache for me yesterday when i was out of the office and had no contact numbers to call people. There is a temp fix on that thread too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
-battery life: very good.

Illustrated as: I orgot my phone when I went on a trip - not a bad thing, for I have seen more horizon and less Jolla, after 8 days I forgot where in the house I had dropped it, called the Jolla and it replied with its last remaining 4 percent.

Network Vinaphone Vietnam, in concrete building with so so coverage.
This is pretty remarkable. I had no idea it would be possible to stretch the battery life that far, when the device has network enabled.
(I wonder how long would it last in Airplane Mode...?)

My (now retired) N9 lasts about 10 days, when I no longer have a simcard in it, it sits in my house connected to WLAN and I occasionally log into it via SSH to test something.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
@48GX
With so much travelling - how you use offline maps in Jolla? I haven't found a way to reliably cache the town I will visit for offline use. I try to scroll around id, hoping maps application will be smart enough to cache surrounding area, but alas - maps always ask me for connection. And in the end I have to pull out my N9 with great and reliable offline maps....
Dear Zlatko,

Sorry but I always use the navy of my car.
When I said it was reliable, I was more focused on calls, data connection, battery and coverage.
Why don't you ask in another post your question?

regards

The Following User Says Thank You to 48GX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
@48GX
Battery life is definitely top notch amongst the current smart phones. But my experienced so far had been plagued by connection issues and random reboots&shutdowns.
About the offline maps - I still have not found an answer.

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
For offline navigation I used Android app "Navigator". I tested it once with previous Sailfish OS version and after enabling GPS on Jolla and rebooted the phone, it worked just fine. Only issue I found was that the map was not always pointing to the driving direction.

Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
anyone able to install google now launcher??

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by TMavica View Post
anyone able to install google now launcher??
I would say that will never work with jolla

The Following User Says Thank You to inffy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
This is pretty remarkable. I had no idea it would be possible to stretch the battery life that far, when the device has network enabled.
(I wonder how long would it last in Airplane Mode...?)

My (now retired) N9 lasts about 10 days, when I no longer have a simcard in it, it sits in my house connected to WLAN and I occasionally log into it via SSH to test something.
I can't see myself not touch the Jolla for the time flight mode battery life will last

Yesterday I just forgot Microsoft Skype for Android - which I still have to use to keep in touch with a few business contacts- yet it only took 20% of battery during a whole working day including a little car traveling (20km), no other significant operation.

Other systems including Symbian would punish me with a quickly drain battery.

I can say that the Android subsystem despite snooping away significant memory resources behaves nicely with regard to battery - at launch I kind of expected the opposite.

agreed with the battery observation. coming from the n900 with skype and yappari enabled, the jolla experience has been stellar. i now leave skype, whatsapp, lync 2013, all running in the dalvik VM full day. my battery lasts through the day for me (which is sufficient for my needs as i can get to a charger at home when i'm back).

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience