Active Topics

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Martinhsl68hw View Post
Well the MeeGo fan club page on Facebook has just asked if I'm ready to feast my 'senses' tomorrow !
"This page is not an official page and is not related to the Linux Foundation in any way. this is just another fan page by a MeeGo fan"

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zymo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
I think that the invite Q&A thing was worded so they can avoid question like why are you abandoning MeeGo? will this be the last Maemo/MeeGo consumer Product?
probably b/c after seeing the product going WP7 is not going to make much sense to a lot people inc. Media, if its really as good as we think
I agree, although it makes no sense to me.

Just as it makes no sense for Elop to carry it in his shirt pocket and show it around, after all we can assume it was his decision to go WP7.

If this is really gonna be disruptive (and I really hope it will be), why abandon the platform? And if Nokia isn't jumping ship, why make it appear so? Why discontinue consumer devices?

This Next Sense will be Non Sense until we see the tech demo tomorrow morning. Then let the speculation fly though the roof!

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
don't know if the image below has done the rounds here already but would be good to know from K123 if it's close to the test device...

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
why abandon the platform? And if Nokia isn't jumping ship, why make it appear so? Why discontinue consumer devices?
Well Nokia needs a bit more than just one good phone as Android and ios are indeed giving that Elops favorite word, ecosystem.
Symbian was huge money hole and making MeeGo real contender would have swallowed it's own share too if developed like Android or ios.

MeeGo would have needed Symbian at first to give some kind of boost for Qt and Symbian needed MeeGo that would have made the appealing high end products. It was huge leap.

Could Nokia have had any change against Androids and ios ecosystem with the resources available? Microsoft cuts big part of Nokia's yearly 4 billion R&D costs where Nokia has been horrible on the software side ever since it has been on it's own from 2008. On Nokia's best year money wise back in 2007, Nokia was still paying Symbian it's part before buying the company in 2008.

Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
don't know if the image below has done the rounds here already but would be good to know from K123 if it's close to the test device...

That's oooold. It was from a small Nokia event showing Direct UI elements from 2008. Imo it just showcases the UI, nothing about hw.

Last edited by tissot; 2011-06-20 at 10:31.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Define Old

Nokia were already working on Harmattan when the N900 was released

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Define Old

Nokia were already working on Harmattan when the N900 was released
Yes harmattan was announced actually already in 2008, but we are talking about hardware, design or are we? I doubt RM-680 had final design yet(it first appearance was in early 2010 on a bug tracker) and this consumer device we know so very little off probably had nothing in 2008.

That said i'm all ears if that's the exact device.

Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
I agree, although it makes no sense to me.

Just as it makes no sense for Elop to carry it in his shirt pocket and show it around, after all we can assume it was his decision to go WP7.

If this is really gonna be disruptive (and I really hope it will be), why abandon the platform? And if Nokia isn't jumping ship, why make it appear so? Why discontinue consumer devices?

This Next Sense will be Non Sense until we see the tech demo tomorrow morning. Then let the speculation fly though the roof!
Maybe the disruptive part is not unique to the Harmattan device but something that will be part of several future Nokia devices independently of OS?

Maybe the Harmattan device just happens to be the first to get the disruptive part/feature and WP devices will have the same disruptive part/feature?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to generationally For This Useful Post:
Many people thought that WebOS was amazing, and quite a bit ahead of its time. It's still held in high regards, but it's not seen as a serious contender to the "big two", like WP7 is. Sure it might make it big eventually, but that is far from certain.

It just shows how hard it is to break into that exclusive club of top ecosystems, and it's really not just about how good the MeeGo device is going to be.

It could be disruptive, it could be really awesome and mind-blowing... Yet still not be a complete alternative to WP7.

Let's just hope for the best. It is the nature of "disruptive" technologies, that it is rather difficult to foresee the outcome. Elop is no fool (contrary to popular opinion ), if he is on to a winner then he will hold on to it. And that's the whole purpose of the new MeeGo strategy after all: To find a future winner.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
don't know if the image below has done the rounds here already but would be good to know from K123 if it's close to the test device...[/IMG]
No. That doesn't look anything like the test device that K123 had.
LCD isn't as big as that concept and retains the Nokia look still imo.

Last edited by jakiman; 2011-06-20 at 11:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Well Nokia needs a bit more than just one good phone as Android and ios are indeed giving that Elops favorite word, ecosystem.
Symbian was huge money hole and making MeeGo real contender would have swallowed it's own share too if developed like Android or ios.

MeeGo would have needed Symbian at first to give some kind of boost for Qt and Symbian needed MeeGo that would have made the appealing high end products. It was huge leap.

Could Nokia have had any change against Androids and ios ecosystem with the resources available? Microsoft cuts big part of Nokia's yearly 4 billion R&D costs where Nokia has been horrible on the software side ever since it has been on it's own from 2008. On Nokia's best year money wise back in 2007, Nokia was still paying Symbian it's part before buying the company in 2008.
Great explanation. What still eludes me, though, is why abandon a platform that is ideal (imho) for testing new technologies. Granted the IT's have been/are a very niche market, but for hw testing and developing they have created a solid base and community.

Since I'm not an insider, and haven't seen the numbers, I expect they were simply not profitable. But with Nokia's RD budget, combined with cash reserves, it makes no sense to me to let a company like MS dictate hardware innovation (and they will, surely, as it will be dependent only on their OS). Better have a backup plan, just in case. Elop just doesn't convince me with the whole WP7 + internal "disruptive" hardware development. Especially if it is as good as we expect it to be tomorrow.

But then again, what do I know?

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland