Class rating is the *minimum* speed in the *best case* internal state.

What does this mean? You get *atleast* X megabytes/second writing sequentially to a new, fresh, empty card.

There's nobody enforcing or certifying speed classes. Manufacturers print whatever they want. In practice, Sandisk seems to use a very conservative number, other manufacturers read review websites to see what the current stupid/idiotic/flawed benchmark program is and slap on a rating according to that.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
thanks for the info. the benchmark program is not as accurate as it should be? okay so for the worst case scenario, the class 2 would read/write at 2mbps at its lowest whereas the class 4 would read/write at 4mbps at its lowest right? cause if that's the case, then i wouldn't take any risk because i'm looking at making this purchase last. not going to buy any new ones in the future. and is there any possibility that the card can perform even lower than it's said benchmark?

i bought myself a 16gb kingmax unit in malaysia. it works well so far.

Posts: 723 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Kuching:Malaysia
if you looking to get a new memory card then find one then is on class 4 and up...16Gb class 2 its to slow for n900...it does work but slow even after you have change it from FAT to EXT3....regarding 32Gb last time i check in malaysia it only 32Gb class 4 is out...hard to find 32Gb class 6 or even class 10...

The Following User Says Thank You to pusak gaoq For This Useful Post:
i'm looking for a Sandisk in particular, 32gb class 4 for my N900. do you guys know what's the price like for the class 4 Sandisk? i'm heading to Lowyat tomorrow, so it would be best if i had a rough price estimation. they don't sell it in Subang Jaya (Subang Parade in particular, too lazy to go anywhere outside the area). one offered me an order, which cost RM280 ($93) whereas i have seen some online for $60-$70 (RM200), not regarding the class.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
lexar, kingston, a-data. pny, patriot, wintec branded micro sd 32gb class 10 are available in the $70-$100 range. you DO know they contain the same memory made by samsung or whoever as a sandisk, unless you buy it from some open market and get tricked.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...rder=BESTMATCH

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+class+10+32gb

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2011-07-20 at 05:22.

Originally Posted by Armand360 View Post
i'm looking for a Sandisk in particular, 32gb class 4 for my N900. do you guys know what's the price like for the class 4 Sandisk? i'm heading to Lowyat tomorrow, so it would be best if i had a rough price estimation. they don't sell it in Subang Jaya (Subang Parade in particular, too lazy to go anywhere outside the area). one offered me an order, which cost RM280 ($93) whereas i have seen some online for $60-$70 (RM200), not regarding the class.
i have been searching at Lowyat looking for a gud memory card & guess what, none of them is genuine made...all of them are clone made from china....almost the same price like genuine but not clone....much better if you buy it from online (sandisk web)....

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
lexar, kingston, a-data. pny, patriot, wintec branded micro sd 32gb class 10 are available in the $70-$100 range. you DO know they contain the same memory made by samsung or whoever as a sandisk, unless you buy it from some open market and get tricked.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...rder=BESTMATCH

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+class+10+32gb
something has to differentiate them other than their brand? their efficiency or performance consistency? if not everyone would have just bought a Lexar or some other brand. i've also read that some customers who bought the class 10 Lexar (and other Lexar memory cards) had problems where the card just stops working. i don't mind paying if i know it is going to last. anyway thanks for the links. i looked it up and the prices were great. just got to firm my trust with other brands first.

Originally Posted by pusak gaoq View Post
i have been searching at Lowyat looking for a gud memory card & guess what, none of them is genuine made...all of them are clone made from china....almost the same price like genuine but not clone....much better if you buy it from online (sandisk web)....
you mean they sell clones from China? they can't all be selling clones right? i first looked it up their forum, and a month or two back they were selling it via order. so i'd thought of visiting the place myself to inspect the card thoroughly. that's the thing. i'm not too sure with the price right now. from Sandisk themselves (their website) is $138.99 but in stores like Verizon, Accessory Geeks and other sites (they seem reputable enough) they're selling at $70-$90 instead. and they can't all be fake can they?

Originally Posted by pusak gaoq View Post
if you looking to get a new memory card then find one then is on class 4 and up...16Gb class 2 its to slow for n900...it does work but slow even after you have change it from FAT to EXT3....regarding 32Gb last time i check in malaysia it only 32Gb class 4 is out...hard to find 32Gb class 6 or even class 10...
Can't agree. Sandisk class 2 cards are most of the times faster that others class 6 or 10
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Armand360 View Post
you mean they sell clones from China? they can't all be selling clones right? i first looked it up their forum, and a month or two back they were selling it via order. so i'd thought of visiting the place myself to inspect the card thoroughly. that's the thing. i'm not too sure with the price right now. from Sandisk themselves (their website) is $138.99 but in stores like Verizon, Accessory Geeks and other sites (they seem reputable enough) they're selling at $70-$90 instead. and they can't all be fake can they?
yup...most of them order they stock from the same supplier so all are clones from china...the different between the genuine & clones lies on the serial number...you can check the serial number by visiting their website (sandisk in your case) and check it out...
the real price tag for sandisk memory card is at their own web while other web i'm not able to confirm how genuine the card is...