Active Topics

Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
Next firmware update, due to release before Christmas

Why do you want to use MMS to send poor quality images captured on a 5mp camera?
Why MMS when you have 3G connection to upload them online?

MMS is old-tech which should be phased out.

I sent 2 MMS maybe in the past 3 years?
tv along with landlines are also old techs but they are still very useful. mms allows me to send and receive pics in close to real time of actual events with a minimum amount of effort. Usually 1 to 2 button presses. also it allows the receiver to instantly access the picture (or short audio blurb) by pressing one button on thier handset. PLUS .. aside from cell phone enthusiasts, there are lots of people (that i know of) who do not have accounts with Flickr, Vox, Ovi, etc... besides even if they did it would take a considerable amount of due process to access those accounts from most hand sets and even more to register for new accounts. Once they do finally access it, they now have to download it to thier cell phones. That's too much when the tech to do it more easily has been around for so long it's considered old technology. Even if they are not mobile enthusiasts or avid bloggers or into file sharing via online sites like t-zones and myspace or facebook I am pretty sure they are into receiving photos even if it is via (old technology) MMS. Also even though lots of phones support email and instant messaging and things like that it isn't always practical and can be some times painful to retrieve those photo files that way. My mother has a cell phone she is over 50 and doesn't even know what a face book is. But I promise you she knows exactly what a picture is and how to press open when she hears the alert tone on her small low end cell phone indicating a new MMS has been received. I agree that MMS should be phased out but only because a more far Superior tech has been created. eg: the ability to send MMS faster and with larger files but not simply to do away with it all together because for some of us its our only way to send Pic's and for some its the only practical way to receive.the pic's. The Pic's I take with my nokia n95 show up brilliantly on even those lil crappy phones (maybe not as nice as on mine but still..) i send MMS often to lots of different people and now that i have the n900 i am considering returning it before my 14day return period is up simply because i cant share pics in a reasonable fashion with my family and friends

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
I just missed the message about and picture of my friend's newborn because this darn (but otherwise superfantastic :-) N900 doesn't do MMS!

WE WANT MMS! Otherwise, Nokia is SO into telecomms standards I really don't get it why they missed out on that.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I still find it amazing so many people use MMS. I have sent perhaps 4 MMS messages ever, not one of them was ever read because the people I sent them to never configured their phone to support MMS.

MMS always seemed to be great it principle but a really poorly implemented feature in reality.

Love this discussions.
People pick one missing feature and make a big
story out of it.
This is the first realy usable web-phone with every
piece of hardware inside you can imagine and people
discuss MMS.
This phone works great. Plugged Battery in synchronized
with Outlook. Immediately usable. Configured email.
Took photo. Gps tagged. Add label. Sent per mail.
No RTFM.

What is MMS? Is it supported by my mobile operator.
What is the price? What is the price when sender/receiver
is on another net/country. Does the receiver and his handy
understand MMS.
How to send an MMS to a netbook

Email/Web is universal usable. MMS is a mobile phone thingy.

Originally Posted by phase315 View Post
well it's not because we want to old technology, when we have our powerful n900's with 3g capability to access flickr or any other multimedia source online, it's because 80 percent of our friends are still stuck in old technology....
Does that also mean they don't have a computer and an Internet connection to view your high quality photos upload?

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Zürich, Switzerland
I think most of the people here in this forum, have no big need in MMS themself... But everybody here has to deal with other persons, who don't have a N900, and the only option they have to share images is using an MMS.
So imo the ability to receive and display MMS is much more important then to write and send MMS...

of course is very important to discuss about missing feature MMS,,

cos some people around the world they don't have internet, and relaying totally on MMS...

Second, easy to send from your server,,,,instead going to internet, connection, check signal, then open email,,after that send attached photo..

MMS still easy method to send pic.

thnx

Will the N900 ever be able to support MMS?

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
That was the dealbreaker for me.

I doubt it will, but could be possible

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
it will, Nokia promised it and I don't think maemo.org is going to let that "not" happen.

Tags
my search is broken