After following the "Customize N900 Conversations" thread and contributing where I could. I find that the experience offered by the modified messaging interfaces is still rather disappointing.
I feel that CSS is not up to the task on it's own because it does not allow things like gradients and the glass effect for the conversation bubbles etc.
Also, using the browser is not ideal because when effects such as shadows are added the interface becomes very slow even without background colors. (I commented out all entries for background color in the CSS files which automatically results in a white background)

How can we redesign or modify the messaging interface to make it visually appealing while keeping performance at an acceptable level?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to byte_76 For This Useful Post:
Hi i just posted something in design
it's just something i was thinking new messaging

DNami

an idea....
i was working on
any good?

DNami
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to dajnami For This Useful Post:
Posts: 855 | Thanked: 612 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
meeeehhhhh

The Following User Says Thank You to Alfred For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by dajnami View Post
an idea....
i was working on
any good?

DNami
It's cool and stuff but I personally would rather just have a simple clean bubble conversation with landscape and portrait mode that got fast and smooth scrolling.

I always get annoyed over the jerkiness of the conversation interface when scrolling, would just be alot better if it was made in QML/QT or something. I have been thinking of trying to make my own but I don't got so much time so haven't even started.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to antezz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by antezz View Post
It's cool and stuff but I personally would rather just have a simple clean bubble conversation with landscape and portrait mode that got fast and smooth scrolling.

I always get annoyed over the jerkiness of the conversation interface when scrolling, would just be alot better if it was made in QML/QT or something. I have been thinking of trying to make my own but I don't got so much time so haven't even started.

hi thanks i understand it was just going to be so, but then i thought i'm trying to get AWAY from the bubbles...lol every one uses that layout.
was thinking more a giant pop up screen .... using the whole screen very visual person me i have sooo much time just not the know how...

woud love just to test it will try for something more minimalistic and bright

NEED MORE IDEAS!!

DNami
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to dajnami For This Useful Post: