Notices

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Australia Maaaaaaaaate
Just a further request to follow on from my `Live Temperature Display` request for N9.Playing with my new sat phone,I activated another option within settings that displays live cell tower information in what would be the status bar on the N9 or allows the option of a separate status bar below what would be the status bar,which is constantly updated as you move between coverage areas.

The information that is displayed is very comprehensive.....

1.Name of cell tower, ie the suburb in which it is situated.
2.The GPS co-ordinates of the tower.
3.Broadcasting power that varies from 0 to 100% and visa versa (as you approach and depart the tower the % changes accordingly)
4.The name of the telco who owns the tower.
5.If your`e with a certain telco,that telcos name is displayed on the phone.( Not applicable on a sat phone).
6.Gives you a graphic display of nearest cell towers that are part of that towers triangulation pattern.This updates as you move and gives all the above details for the other two included towers in the display.
7.As it constantly triangulates your position,this sat phone has a backtrack feature and emergency broadcast of your GPS co ordinates in case of difficulties.
8.Displays your current GPS position and is live constantly.

Further investigations surprised me.All mobile and sat phones manufactured must contain a separate module that is specific for GPS transmissions that cannot be disabled thru software manipulation.This meaning that you can turn off the GPS for,say Nokia Drive,but your current position is constantly being broadcasted and updated via triangulation and your position known to your telco of choice.This,of course,is what allows tracking. The above information displayed on my sat phone is international...all handheld mobile communication are capable of displaying these figures in one form or another.

My proposal to the communiy is...why not use this broadcasted information to our advantage and develop a app or incorporated into another program,such as N9QT,to allow this to be displayed in a similar manner as on my sat phone.

Whos up for the challenge.....