Code:
Nokia-N900:~# apt-get install samba-common
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
samba-common is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up samba-common (3.4.3-maemo2) ...
dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute post-installation script: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing samba-common (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
 samba-common
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

solution?

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
The solution is to open up your most favorite text editor and remove the silly windows LF/CR from the end of each line. Someone borked up - People still use Microsoft? : )

In simple terms ^M is spamming the scripts.

Both of the following files have this issue:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/samba-common.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/samba-common.postrm

Once you remove the ^M from the end of every line, it will both install and remove correctly. It's quite probable that the other samba-common files in this directory are also having the same problem - though I didn't check.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
would there be a program or even a command in the terminal, to automaticly fix that?

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
would there be a program or even a command in the terminal, to automaticly fix that?
There is a package "tofrodos" but I don't see it in M5 repositories.

it sounds like somthing that could be done using regex (i only understand regex enough to see the potential, but i have no idea how to actually use them)

Originally Posted by dchky View Post
The solution is to open up your most favorite text editor and remove the silly windows LF/CR from the end of each line. Someone borked up - People still use Microsoft? : )

In simple terms ^M is spamming the scripts.

Both of the following files have this issue:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/samba-common.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/samba-common.postrm

Once you remove the ^M from the end of every line, it will both install and remove correctly. It's quite probable that the other samba-common files in this directory are also having the same problem - though I didn't check.
Hi there, I'm having this problem with smbfs and samba-common failing to configure, meaning they also fail when trying to remove them.

While I partly understand your instructions (have opened the two files you mentioned using a text editor) I don't know what you mean by ^M, and can't see anything of the sort anywhere in either file! Is ^M some sort of "code" or designation?

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by Chaos Defines Order View Post
Hi there, I'm having this problem with smbfs and samba-common failing to configure, meaning they also fail when trying to remove them.

While I partly understand your instructions (have opened the two files you mentioned using a text editor) I don't know what you mean by ^M, and can't see anything of the sort anywhere in either file! Is ^M some sort of "code" or designation?
Now that I read my message again I wasn't very clear. : )

The configuration files have been edited at some point in a text application that leaves ^M at the end of every line. (It's an extra carriage return that you can't ordinarily see)

Probably another way to remove them is to hit "File -> Save As" and select "ASCII" or some similar raw text format.

I use vi for pretty much all my editing so I can't really offer solutions that fall outside this particular editor.

If you google "remove ^M" there are quite a few solutions.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Make a copy of the files first:
cp /var/lib/dpkg/info/samba-common.postinst /var/lib/dpkg/info/samba-common.postinst.bak
cp /var/lib/dpkg/info/samba-common.postrm /var/lib/dpkg/info/samba-common.postrm.bak
Then remove the silly CRs
tr -d '\r' < /var/lib/dpkg/info/samba-common.postinst.bak > /var/lib/dpkg/info/samba-common.postinst
tr -d '\r' < /var/lib/dpkg/info/samba-common.postrm.bak > /var/lib/dpkg/info/samba-common.postrm

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
i tried doing that but nothing seems to have changed

hm, actually, it seems it worked, nvm my last post