Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
So here I am in Japan feeling awfully left out over the coming of the N900. I have been doing some searching but I can't seem to find any word on whether or not the N900 is coming to Asian markets. Has anyone here heard anything?

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ A quiet place.
Sorry, mate, I haven't heard a peep. I was just in Japan and actively looking for information on the N900 but came up with nothing.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Germany
On the PUSH N900 page from the other thread
(http://www.psfk.com/2009/09/hacking-...on-launch.html) it says

The winners will receive N900 devices, funding and support to build their idea, which will then be toured around the international Nokia flagship stores in Helsinki, London, Tokyo and New York in February/March 2010.
So i think at least until then it will be released in Japan as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to MrWeasel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Does maemo 5 even have localization support for east-asian character sets? if not, a release seems doubtful.

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
Originally Posted by hypnotik View Post
Does maemo 5 even have localization support for east-asian character sets? if not, a release seems doubtful.
That is a really good question. The mention of Tokyo is a little uplifting, I was going to call Softbank and harass them about it but it is past there normal business hours. I guess I will just have to wait till morning to call.

The Following User Says Thank You to verumgero For This Useful Post:
i think that this will be a cool internet tablet in japan, but will you be able to use this as a phone? if so, im sold on the n900

Originally Posted by wau808 View Post
i think that this will be a cool internet tablet in japan, but will you be able to use this as a phone? if so, im sold on the n900
Don't quote me on this, but I believe it will work if you have a sim card that you can use in Japan, such as a sim card from a Softbank prepaid phone.

I believe this will work because:
1. The N900 supports the 2100 MHz 3G band, which should mean the phone will work in Japan.
2. There are reports of other 2100 MHz 3G phones working in Japan with a Softbank prepaid sim card. See for example here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=51

This is for the phone call functionality. As for messaging functionality, you may need to configure the phone with information that e.g. Softbank will not want to provide. But I think in 2010 the law will change so carriers must provide all configuration information to allow other phones to work on their network.

This is only for Softbank prepaid sim cards, which is a configuration that I have heard will work. I don't know anything about Softbank contract plans, or other carriers. I think I heard that non-standard sim-like technology has been/is being used in many Japanese handsets.

Last edited by Otaku; 2009-10-04 at 06:31. Reason: Added example of 2100 MHz 3G phone working in Japan

I think I've found some viable solutions for Japan usage (none completely ideal); if there's interest I can post more detail.

Basically my conclusions are:
  • You can get voice connectivity by using a compatible sim card directly in the N900, or (probably) by using the N900's bluetooth headset profile to remote-control a nearby bluetooth-capable J-phone.
  • You can get 3G data connectivity (wide coverage) by using a compatible sim card directly in the N900, or by using a portable battery-powered WiFi router such as the Cradlepoint PHS300, that allows you to plug in a 3G modem (verified as compatible with many Japanese models) and access it via WiFi.
  • You can get WiFi data connectivity (narrow coverage) by looking for free hotspots (maps available online), or by subscribing to a paid WiFi hotspot service.

Regarding direct sim card compabitility with the N900, it seems:
  • E-Mobile: Offer various voice-only, data-only, or voice+data plans. Probably won't work at all due to E-Mobile using the non-widespread UMTS Band IX (but possibly a future N900 firmware upgrade may support that). Cheap.
  • Softbank: Offer various voice-only, data-only, or voice+data plans. Voice sim card will probably work. 3G data may work, but Softbank contractually prohibits using their sim cards in other devices on the cheap flat-rate plans; the more expensive business plans seem to allow sim-swapping. If you use a sim card in a non-approved device you may get hit with massive charges because Softbank appears very unfriendly to tethering or unapproved devices. Cheap.
  • Willcom Core 3G: A data-only plan from Willcom. Verified to work in Android GDD phone (that runs on 900/2100 MHz, both supported by the N900) in Japan for 3G data connection. No voice on this plan. Slightly more expensive. Also the web page says the service may end in 2012.
  • B-Mobile: Time-limited, prepaid, no-contract data plan. English documentation available. Per-minute charges are expensive, but if you don't use it much, it can be cheaper. The web page specifically says it's intended for surfing mail checking, so if you watch streaming video or use P2P on this plan you may get cut off. Interestingly, they also offer a sim-card-only prepaid plan aimed at Android developers.
  • Docomo: Seem to offer voice-only or data-only plans. Not sure about details here. Slightly more expensive.
  • AU: Doesn't seem to offer 3G data, not sure about details.

Regarding a WiFi data connection using the PHS300 as a WiFi router plus a USB data modem, then accessing the data connection from the N900 using Wifi, I found out the following:
  • Willcom W-Value SELECT, a low-speed 64kbit PHS service. USB modem verified to work with PHS300: see 1, 2. Cheapest option: 980 yen/month, for max of 24 months (after that it reverts to standard price of 3700 yen/month). Willcom also has another similar offering where you buy their WiFi router instead of using the PHS300.
  • Willcom Core 3G: verified to work with PHS300, requires using some initialization commands.
  • E-Mobile: Many modems verified to work with PHS300. See PHS300 documentation.

Others may work, but you should check before buying. Note that the PHS300 does not run Linux, so you are dependent on the manufacturer to update their firmware to support newer USB data modems.

Regarding paid WiFi hotspot services, there are a couple of these available, but they only work in e.g. downtown Tokyo, and don't have nearly the coverage of 3G data. But depending on where you live/when you need data, WiFi may be a better option for you.

Personally, I think I'm going for Bluetooth headset profile for voice, and Willcom Core 3G for data. Continuing to investigate, though.

Last edited by Otaku; 2009-10-10 at 04:37. Reason: Added info about extremely low cost PHS option

The Following User Says Thank You to Otaku For This Useful Post:
I'm also living in Japan, and very interested in this device...

I wonder how the SCIM input will work across programs ? It works ok on my N810, if I don't update to the latest OS version (at least when I tried ~6months ago)

This is a showstopper for use in Japan (as a phone) if input doesn't work...

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
For non-Japan folks who want to use this as a phone during travel, the Passport SIM from Telestial.com offers Japan access. Data rates are outrageous, but voice works as long as your phone has the right frequencies. I haven't had much experience with it but to make a few calls from Narita during a layover.