x11vnc from dev repo cant handle touch controls.

netview from ovi store has two problems;
1) no CLI; you have to be at the phone already to start it
2) youre at the weird mercy of nokia; typing in the terminal app doesnt work for me, for example

a nice easy solution is to use netview sans gui, like this:

-install netview deb from ovi store

-run this with additional args like you would any old vnc server
Code:
/opt/netview/x11vnc/bin/x11vnc \
  -display :0 -touchdev "Atmel mXT Touchscreen" \
  $@
i made an exec and stuck it in: /usr/local/bin/vnc-netview
i use it like this:
Code:
ssh root@nokia-n9 'vnc-netview -nopw -rotate 90'

-and thats it! vncviewer like always {you can watch for the 'The VNC desktop is' line or the 'PORT=' line, or you can pass -localhost to the netview x11vnc, etc}

1) -rotate works {i invariably need to do 90 degrees}
2) all you need is ssh access to the phone {and probably a rooted open kernel, but i dunno}
3) it appears to be as fast as or faster than netview
4) keyboard works in terminal
5) you can still run it in a browser, of course, if you use a web-based vnc client {realVNC does this, i think}. {netview apparently includes a web-based vnc client that you download as a java applet throught the browser; you cant use it}.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
x11vnc from dev repo cant handle touch controls.
What do you mean by "can't handle touch controls"? Like emulating swiping from a connected VNC client's mouse movements?

Does Netview just take the x11vnc server and make it accessible via a web browser instead of a vnc viewer?

Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
What do you mean by "can't handle touch controls"? Like emulating swiping from a connected VNC client's mouse movements?

Does Netview just take the x11vnc server and make it accessible via a web browser instead of a vnc viewer?
yes. in order to actually control the phone remotely, you need click+drag => swipe. netview's bundled x11vnc is capable of this, but the one in the repos is not. theres a -touchdev option in netview's.

netview apparently runs an http server that just sends you jtightvncviewer when you navigate to it, which icedtea opens in a separate window with the correct argument {e.g.: nokia-n9:23}.
afaict, its indistinguishable from actually running jtightvncviewer.

The Following User Says Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post: