An update to Apple, patenting a tablet based Mac.
Link: http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...%20computer%22

What do you think about it?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
See if you can find the lifestyle patents no doubt associated with it. I don't want to buy one to find out I have to have an albino chihuahua named after some kind of coffee that ends in a vowel.

(I just spent another subway ride hearing audio bleed - - but it only (as always) comes from little white ear buds. I wonder what it'll be with this tablet, people holding it at arm's length on a crowded subway?)

@ desktop:

Apple is on a patent binge. Patents don't necessarily lead to products. But they can lead to lawsuits for infringement of ideas that will *never* be used by their creators. Just ask RIM.

(Side note: Some eejit is suing Apple for hearing loss "casued" by his iPod. I hope someone does some investigation to see if Sony was ever thusly sued over the Walkman. And what the Walkman's max volume is/was vs iPod's.)

Last edited by Mike Cane; 2006-02-03 at 15:03. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Cane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 50 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Chicago, IL
An Apple Tablet has been the holy grail for many Mac users. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few prototypes floating around Cupertino. (Don't forget, OSX has the Inkwell technology built right in. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to have it working on a tablet.)

Personally, I wish they would come out with a sub-portable laptop; something under 2.5 pounds. I love my 12 inch Powerbook, but sometimes I just don't want to lug it around. On those days, I take my Japanese imported Panasonic R3; 2.2 pounds with up to 8 hours of batter life. Love it.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted by Reggie
What do you think about it?
I just read the patent application. The representation that the ideas in the application are just now being 'invented' is totally f__ing ridiculous. The USA patent system is hopelessly broken - the courts that enforce patents are hopelessly incapable of doing their job - and the whole situation is just a disaster for the individual in the tech age. A pox on Apple - they deserve all the scorn we can muster.

LOL! Tell us how you really feel, Remote User.

I do agree with you, the USA patent system is hopelessly broken and I don't see anyway it can be fixed. The way it operates is antiquated and it's been unable to keep up with new technology.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted by wendo
LOL! Tell us how you really feel, Remote User!
I've been doing nothing but building touchscreen graphical user interfaces for decades. I DEFY the people whose names are in this patent application to show me they are doing something new. If they are, there's no hint of it in the patent application. It makes me literally sick in my stomach to see people doing things like this.

(By the way, at Reggie's suggestion, I opened my control panel and put you know who in my ignore list. You and @desktop should do the same. He will be 'dead' to you from that point onward. You'll never see another word he writes.)

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
So what it is a patent APPLICATION, not a patent. One can apply for anythink. Hopefully, if it is not found to be new, they won't get a patent.

Jerome, yes, exactly. One can apply for a patent for anything with the proper legal papers and fees. Part of the problem with the US patent system is it's overwhelmed with applications.

Remote User has a good point too, especially as someone who works in the field of this particular patent. I find it hard to believe that what Apple is applying for is something new and never done before. Seems to me they just have the money and resources to get the patent.

And, some patents just seem so ridiculous when said applications that have been patented would've come as technology evolves. I think RU is right that the US patent system is in need of serious reform.

ETA: RU, thanks for the suggestion. Personally, I'm not one to ignore people; I just prefer reasoned and reasonable debate that isn't personal. Personal attacks are just not necessary, imo.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Well, I don't think that particular application is really that ridiculous. It is talking about "multipoint sensing devices". Meaning two (or theoretically more) inputs on screen at the same time.

I guess it's relatively similar to what Apple has on the touch pad:s on some of the Powerbooks. Like two fingers to the same direction is panning, and one finger static and other circling is rotating etc.

I haven't actually seen that anywhere before. Remote User, can you point us towards some prior art touch screen devices that have this feature?