Active Topics

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
For those of you who know about this, the image is still not up, this is a post to summarize the progress so far.

Image uploaded, link and instructions here

Basic Ubuntu install with only gnome-desktop installed (showing output of uname -a):

ubuntu-desktop metapackage installed, with the netbook-launcher running in the background:

Same as above, BT running (thanks giannoug) (also shows blue LED at 255, keyboard at 100 [brightness])

Boot time is about 1-2 minutes from power button to usable desktop, didn't really time it.

See what's working and what isn't here: http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Mohammad7410/Ubuntu

You'll need binaries from /lib/firmware/ for Wi-Fi and bluetooth, full tutorial when the image is up.

Image still not up, will compress it and upload it later, same goes for a video showing boot up (disappointed with the N86's cam tbh, can't record macro so the video will be VERY blurry)

Thanks to b-man for help w/ debootstrap

Last edited by MohammadAG; 2010-07-15 at 12:52.

The Following 144 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
acvetkov, afaq, alexff, alienhead, aligatro, AlMehdi, ammyt, AndiThebest, antezz, ArchiMark, arjunkumar87, artron, b-man, bachagabriel, bakuur, Berserk, bigears5000, biobobby89, BLC, blipnl, BLIZZARD, BN900, borghal, BrettQ, bunanson, bzbnd, chase15, cheve, choubbi, cjp, Crogge, Cue, D4rKlar, dannym, danramos, Dark_Angel85, datjomp, Dousan, drangina, dwaradzyn, eMiL, Estel, ezcola, F2thaK, fatcobrah, fbnccst, finlaybob, fms, frostbyte, fw190, ghzroy, Glasswalker, Gundogan, hardkorek, hesham, Hmoobwarrior, HtheB, humble, ikirk, ingvay7, int_ua, inuyasha0209, ioan, ironm8, j.s, jd4200, jessi3k3, johnel, JorgeFX, Joseph9560, jperez2009, kamil365, Kieron, kingoddball, kojacker, kolos, kulas, LippiVan, lostinmirkwood, MaddogG, Magik, Maj3stic, MaltedVomit, manavs, mannakiosk, manvik60, Maruzko, meizirkki, Mentalist Traceur, misiak, mivoligo, moepda, mothmanex, nad6234, nashith, naturegodtm, Netweaver, nikolajhendel, Nokia7Linux, nology, NOMIOMI, noobmonkey, ny-hardcore, OptX, osama, pali, Patola, pavlik, PePPeN20, pfontana77, pincy, qwerty12, RFS-81, rjneid, rustler, S0urcerr0r, sadfist, SalmanAbbas, sbock, sdixit, sinaisix, smoothc, Sohil876, Soulaxe, taaheel, te37v, tetris11_, ThomasAH, Tiboric, tissot, titi974, Trek1701, uberguru, vabgeo, x61, XNT, xopher, yamakasi, ZenGuru, Zoin
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Connecticut, United States
How long will it take? eagerly waiting.

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Mexico, Monterrey.
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
For those of you who know about this, the image is still not up, this is a post to summarize the progress so far.

Basic Ubuntu install with only gnome-desktop installed (showing output of uname -a):

ubuntu-desktop metapackage installed, with the netbook-launcher running in the background:

Same as above, BT running (thanks giannoug) (also shows blue LED at 255, keyboard at 100 [brightness])

Boot time is about 1-2 minutes from power button to usable desktop, didn't really time it.

See what's working and what isn't here: http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Mohammad7410/Ubuntu

You'll need binaries from /lib/firmware/ for Wi-Fi and bluetooth, full tutorial when the image is up.

Image still not up, will compress it and upload it later, same goes for a video showing boot up (disappointed with the N86's cam tbh, can't record macro so the video will be VERY blurry)

Thanks to b-man for help w/ debootstrap
Seems amazing, can not wait for it!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mothmanex For This Useful Post:
Depends on my network and how quick I can clean up binaries and tar it (as well as fix some other crap in it)

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Connecticut, United States
Depends on my network and how quick I can clean up binaries and tar it (as well as fix some other crap in it)
Great work man, i am seriously looking forward to it. I had one question, will everything work- i am asking in the sense of drivers?

Originally Posted by alienhead View Post
Great work man, i am seriously looking forward to it. I had one question, will everything work- i am asking in the sense of drivers?
As I said in my above post, here's what's working and what isn't.
http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Mohammad7410/Ubuntu

As I said in my above post, here's what's working and what isn't.
http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Mohammad7410/Ubuntu
My question was, when you upload the image, will the non-working things will be made to work in that image or in the future?

Originally Posted by alienhead View Post
My question was, when you upload the image, will the non-working things will be made to work in that image or in the future?
Oh, just copy the binaries from your device to the memory card.

Ok, thanks. thanks once again for investing your efforts in this. This is awesome and makes the N900 even more awesome.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox